265 steering slop

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

265 steering slop

Jeff I purchased a nice 265 off Ebay for 760.00 yesterday. it's really nice except for the steering. The box is sloppy, and so is the tilt wheel. With 910 hours, I would guess that's normal. Is it easier to rebuild the box, or get a new one?

Jeff

Dave Jeff - With only 910 hours, and the steering is sloppy, I suspect either the hour meter is wrong, or the previous owner took little effort to care for the tractor. Rebuilding is OK, if you at least get the tech manual from Deere before you attempt. It goes through both the steering box and the tilt wheel areas. There are not that many parts involved. - Dave
Jeff Dave,
I thought 910 hours seemed excessive. How many hours are these tractors good for? Actually
I recived all the previous owners records with
the tractor. He was the original owner, and was so meticulous that he used mobile 1 the entire life of the tractor.

It came with the Deere tech manual. I may not be
technically able to rebuild the unit. Are new ones still available?
Thanks Again;
Jeff

bontai Joe How long are they good for? 1500 to 2000 hours is not out of the ordinary. Throw in an engine overhaul when needed and then you are looking at possibly 2500-3000 hours with regular maintenance and repairs as needed. Was the previous owner a large guy that may have yanked on the steering wheel to assist himself to get on and off? That might explain the wear you are seeing.
Jeff I don't know if he was large or not as I purchased the tractor from a John Deere dealer
that had taken it in on a trade for a new one,
then auctioned it off on e-bay. He has a steering
knob like truckers use on the steering wheel that
might have something to do with it.

The steering wheel has about 6 or 8 inches of play, and the tilt steering has about an inch
up and down. I mentioned it to the dealer when
I picked it up, but he said for the hours that it was normal.

I have a Simplicity the same year that has much
tighter steering.

Thanks!
Jeff

Dana Are you sure that all the slop is in the steering sector? Check the steering arm on the left side by the footrest. This area is known to wear and could be part of your problem.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: