Carb. on Model 40

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Carb. on Model 40

Bobby Godwin I have a 1953 John Deere 40. It has gotten where it will crank and run long enough to run the gas out of the float bowl, then it dies. The gas is getting to the carb, but not into the float bowl. When I open the drain on the float bowl there is just a very slow drip. I have cleaned the screen where the fuel line enters the carb, but that did not seem to help. Is there anything else I can try without taking the carb off the tractor and going through the whole thing? Something is almost stopped up somewhere.
Dave Vincent
Re: Carb. on Model 40

I have the same tractor, same year. Was having trouble with the carb and just did a complete rebuild. They are really pretty simple once you have them apart. Mine wouldn't idle and would spit, sputter, and backfire through air intake. Idles smooth now, no problems. Take the line off the carb if it flows good there, the only other thing it could be is where the needle valve lets the fuel enter the float bowl. Needle valve is connected to the float, this orifice might be clogged up. If you are going to get into it this far, you might as well buy the kit and rebuild, they're cheap on e-bay. Feel free to e-mail me.

Dave

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: