JD 318 Battery Light Stays On

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 318 Battery Light Stays On

JimKW The battery light near the steering column stays on all the time when the engine is running, but the battery does not seem to be low when I go to start it. I hadn't started it for a while and I had to put a charger on it to start it the last time, and I noticed the light went out while the charger was hooked up to the battery.

My choke cable is also very hard to pull. How much work is it to replace the cable?

Thanks

bontai Joe Simple things first, the choke cable should take an amature mechanic around an hour to replace.

The battery light is probably telling you that your battery is marginal, has enough power to start your tractor aparently, but not enough to meet the setting on the light. Put a DC volt meter on the battery posts while the engine is running and you should get a reading of over 14 volts. With the engine off, should get a reading of just over 12 volts if all is in good working order.

JimKW The battery is practically brand new and this started shortly after I put it in.
Dave Jim - Is the battery sized properly for the 318? Those Wally World L&G batteries don't cut it. When the system voltage drops below 12.3 volts, the battery light comes on. It stays on until the system voltage goes above 12.7 volts. To see if the charging system is putting enough voltage out, you really need to disconnect the middle wire at the voltage regulator. Start the engine and run at full throttle. Using a multi-meter, touch the black negative probe to the engine block for ground, and touch the red positive probe to the exposed terminal on the regulator. The output voltage should be upwards of 14 VDC. If it's less than 13.5 VDC, your charging system may not be keeping up with demand. - Dave
JimKW I probed the battery with the engine running and got right around 12. I put a full charge in the battery with my charger and got a little above 12 on the battery alone. With the engine running it's about the same maybe even a little less.

I pulled the middle wire off the voltage regulator and probed the middle prong and got nothing. When I probed the wire I pulled off the prong I got a lttle less than 12.

Think I need a voltage regulator?

Ron Brown If not the voltage regulator. You will have to go deeper to the Stater under the flywheel. That is where it all starts.
JimKW Is there a way to tell whether it's the Stater or the Voltage Regulator or should I just do the Voltage Reg first and see if that solves the problem?
JOHN B. Check your ignition key switch for corrosion and replace if necessary @ $18.00.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: