318 need to know what transmisson fluid to use and the size of the hose

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

318 need to know what transmisson fluid to use and the size of the hose

Barry I have a 318 that the clear plastic suction hose broke and I would like to go and buy one that is not a JD OEM, but I need to know if it is anything special. Also I need to refill the transmisson fluid that leaked out and I have no idea what kind to buy.
Joe If you are talking about the site tube it is 1/4" clear fuel line available at any lawn mower shop. It is not that expensive from dealer. There is a piece of site glass or plexiglass in the middle of the back for better oil level viewing. You could skip the glass but the fuel line gets cloudy. It originally took jd hydrostatic fluid which was type f auto transmission fluid. Deere now uses lo viscosity hy guard- you can use type f from auto store.
Dave Barry - If the original fluid is red in color, use Type F to top it off. However, I would suggest draining it, replacing the filter, and refilling with Low Viscosity Hy-Gard from Deere. Do not mix one fluid type with the other. If you are not sure what was in the transmission to begin with, I would drain as I've suggested. - Dave

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: