LX188 No firing

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

LX188 No firing

Mike Walker My LX188 has suddenly stopped firing on one cylinder. I have checked for fuel - ok there. I swapped over the little coils & lead, but the no firing was still on the same side. Swapped the plugs over too - still same side. I have followed the two wires from the dodgey side & they go into a small metal box approx 5" x 3" - some kind of ignition/timing box? I have traced the fault back this far. Don't really want to go blindly ordering parts. Anyone experienced this or any views?
Many thanks,
Mike (England)

bontai Joe Can you get a compression reading on the "dead" cylinder? Might be a stuck valve or worse case, a broken connecting rod on that side of the engine.
Mike Walker I ran the engine with the plug out & there seems no compression problem, there was a hell of a blast coming out of the plug hole. What I was trying to do was to check if a had a spark at the plug. I had the plug still connected to the lead, then with the engine running, touching the plug to an earth. I could not get a spark on the plug which sent me off on the electrical trail. The engine sounds like it runs well on the one cylinder i.e. no clattering or unhealthy noises.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: