John Deere model A clutch drive disk stuck on shaft

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere model A clutch drive disk stuck on shaft

David Pearsall I am trying to remove the drive disk from a John Deere model A. I have a large puller and used torch but cannot budge from splined shaft. I am trying to replace the rear friction. Can anyone tell me the trick to remove drive disk? I used Kroil oil on splined shaft which looks very clean and no rust.
mikewillhite I sent a follow up on how to remove the clutch drive disc.
The forum admin. must have deleted it because I can't find it.
It was pretty detailed and I don't want to go to the trouble of sharing the tricks of how to work on the old John Deere tractors if they are just going to be deleted.
Sorry!

mikewillhite This requires a good degree of mechanical and athletic ability.

Remove the outer clutch assembly, pressure plate and friction rings.

Remove the 15/16 bolt from the end of the shaft that is holding the clutch on. Remove the washer and put the bolt back into the shaft almost all the way in.

Place a long heavy shaft, (1 1/4" X 5') or similar pry bar behind the part that looks like a gear where the outside pressure plate goes on.

I recommend finding a long three to four foot flat suspension spring from and old 2 ton truck to give a wider pressure point on the pully to prevent breaking the pully instead of a shaft for the pry bar.. Use a grinder to shape the end of the spring so it will not slip.

Apply heavy pressure toward the tractor with the long spring by leaning on the spring with your right hand and sholder. Bump the bolt with a SLEDGE HAMMER by slinging the sledge hammer with your left hand. If you do it right
the inner part of the clutch will slip off the shaft. If you do it wrong, you will break the outside of the clutch pully.

You may bend the bolt. Get a new one from a machine shop. Grade 5, 15/16.

After you get the inner part off the shaft the inside friction ring can be replaced.

Complete Removal of the pully is as follows:

To get the pully off you have to remove the pin from the clutch lever engaging mechanism in front of the pully. Then take the four bolts out of the engaging mechanism. Remove the entire engaging assembly. The brass collar goes back into the grove on the pully slide mechanism on reassembly.

Pull the pully off the shaft. The Pully has a gear that has timming marks (V) on the gear inside the housing and on the pully. Match these when you reassemble if you take this apart.

There also should be a (V) timing mark on the outside pressure plate and the shaft that have to be matched when you reassemble the the clutch.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: