318 PTO Problem

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

318 PTO Problem

Patrick Hi ,

I have a 318 and the PTO switch does not engage the PTO. Is there any trouble shooting tips on were to start?

Also I got a batery light that comes on and stays on. The baterry is new and holding a charge. just got that light on.
Thank you
-Patrick

Dave Patrick - You may have two separate issues, or you may not. First, the PTO clutch. With the engine cold, pop the front grill off. Then take a 0.018" feeler gage. Around the perimeter of the clutch, there are either three or four slots. Adjacent to each is an adjustment nut. Slip the feeler gage into one of the slots, and adjust the adjacent nut until a slight drag is felt ont he feeler gage. Repeat at the remaining slots, then repeat at least twice more at each one, moving to a new slot each time. (Adjusting one position, affects the remaining, hence the need to adjust each several times.)

Now for the battery light. Next, pull the middle wire from the regulator. Start the tractor and run at full throttle. Use a volt meter and touch the negative probe to the engine block, then the positive probe to the middle terminal on the regulator. You should get a reading of at least 13.7 to 14.5 volts DC. If it's less than 12.3, the battery light comes on, and I would thing that either the stator or the regulator is bad.

Turn the tractor off. Now pull the two outer leads from the regulator. Set the meter for AC voltage, and run the tractor at full throttle. Check the AC voltage at the two stator leads. Depending on the Onan model, the AC voltage spec will differ. Suffice to say, there should be at least 28 volts AC up to about 57 volts AC. Then with the tractor off, you want to check each stator lead for continuity to ground. There should be none. If there is on either lead, chances are the stator has a short and would require replacment. If the stator checks OK but the DC voltage was low, good chance that the voltage regulator is bad.

Good luck. - Dave

Patrick (a new pat) Hey Patrick (ironically thats my name too).
What did you conclude with your 318. I have a 317 that has the same PTO problem and the thihng dies when I turn the lights on. It seems to have a little power missing too.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: