Charging system issue

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Charging system issue

SteveA Last week the "battery" idiot light lit up on my LX188. The engine was evidently running off the battery. I investigated and found that one of the stator leads (brown/white)melted it's slot in the nylon regulator connector. I replaced the connector and regulator.
The engine started and ran normal. The "battery" light is no longer lit. I then checked the wires to the regulator connector and noticed my old friend the brown/white wire feels warm to the touch. Also, the regulator seems to warm up pretty quickly. Since the regulator is finned I assume they generate some heat but how much? Do I have another issue I am not aware? I do not want to burn up another connector beforte I get to the root of my problem if one in fact exists. Thanks.

Bruce Firstly...check all ground connections. A bad ground will cause the amperage to soar! Especially the engine ground, and the battery post ground. Now remove the 3 wires from the regulator, and run the engine @ full RPM. Set a voltmeter to "AC" voltage, and put the test leads to the 2 outside wires (probably white). You should have an AC reading of 40 volts, or so...but if it's below 30...your stator is shot. Replace stator. I'm betting you have a bad ground....or, a shorted out stator.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: