316 PTO problem

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

316 PTO problem

Steve Jones I have a 1987 316 with an 18 HP Onan engine. I am having PTO engagement problems. The initial problem was the PTO would engage when cold but not engage when hot after I had cut the lawn for a period of time.

I stopped by my John Deere dealer who suggested I turn the three spring loaded adjustments a to turn to tighten the clutch. I did and now I blow a fuse after mowing about hour or so. I tried to set the clutch back to where it was but I still blow the 20 amp fuse, sometimes even sooner than the hour time. AND now the battery light comes on, stays on for a while, goes off for a while.

I read how to adjust the air gap on the PTO to 0.018. I have made this adjustment but wont cut grass for a few days so I dont know if I have fixed the problem as yet. I did engage the PTO 5 or 6 times and it does engage. Only once did the battery light come on.

I believe I have a problem with the PTO clutch and probably will have to replace it. My question is how difficult is it to replace the PTO clutch. I rather not sent the tractor to my John Deere dealer for repairs because I am afraid it will be gone for a period of time and my tractor is my only means to cut my acre of grass.

Since I dont have any repair manual for the 316 so I have no clue what the procedure is to replace the PTO clutch. I have some mechanical ability and the tools so if its pretty simple I would just buy the parts and do the job in my garage.

Can anyone offer me some advice. Id greatly appreciate any help. Email me if you wish. My address is listed below.

Thanks very much,
Steve Jones
sfjones1@comcast.net.

Dave Steve - E-mail sent. - Dave
Karl Lasse More than likely you have a short in the coil and you will need to replace it. I have done a few on the earlier kohler engines KT17 and 16HP Kohler. Pull off the pulley and then disconnect the wire to the coil. Remove the coil and replace with the new one. Reconnect the wire and make sure you have the wire held done properly so it doesn't hit the pulley. I believe you replace the pulley and then adjust the coil so there is a small amount of clearance between the pulley and the coil. You should have the clearance amounts in the manual. Your JD dealer should be able tell you the amount when you purchase the new coil. The last one I purchased was about $70, but that was a few years ago.
Start it up and flip the switch! It should work. If not readjust the coil.
-Karl

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: