Hydrostatic 318 Mower - How many hours can I mow?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Hydrostatic 318 Mower - How many hours can I mow?

Don Hey,
I'm a real newbie to this. I have inherited a Hydrostatic 318 Mower with an 18 horse engine. It takes 5 hours to mow my large property. Should I only do two hours a day so the mower doesn't get too hot, or can I do the whole 5 hours?

Dave Don - If the shrouds are in place, and if the fins on the engine block are clean, and if you run at full throttle, and the if fuel/air mix is not running lean (lean running generates more heat), and if it's not in the mid-90s or more, and the if oil is the right viscosity and not over used, you should be fine. A lot of "ifs", but if you are concerned, take a break once in awhile. - Dave
bontai Joe I have a 316 and back in the day when I cut a lot of lawns, I could do 5 acres in under 4 hours although it was mostly wide open land with little trimming or obstacles. It's an interesting question you brought up as I don't know if even the 4+ gallon tank on these will allow 5 hours of constant running time. Following Dave's cautions, I wouldn't think there would be any problem, but I'm also thinking that after 2 hours or more you are gonna want to take a "potty" break or something.
Steve I've sat on my 318 and mowed for over 4 hours at a time non-stop, in blistering Kansas August 95 degree heat under full sun with no breeze, mowing long grass, short grass, wet grass, doing a lot of slowing and reversing to get around trees and obstacles, up and down hills, basically abusing the tractor. I've never had even a hint of a problem (at least with overheating) in 10 years of use and abuse. I'm no expert by any stretch, but the way I see it, after 20 minutes of mowing, let alone 2 hours, the tractor is about as hot as it's going to get. I still do three hours at a time every week in the summer with no breaks and it's never a problem.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: