JD 318

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 318

Reese My neighbor has a 1992 318 that he wants to sell. It has about 460 hours on it and is in good but not pristine condition. It has a 50 inch deck, hydraulic front blade, and a bagger which he says does not work (I don't need the bagger anyway).

A local dealer said he thought the tractor/mower were worth anywhere from $1500-$1800. That sounds like the low end of the range to me.

What is the blade attachment worth? Besides transmission creep, anything in particular I should look for in this model?

Thanks for any help in advance.

bontai Joe Transmission creep can be adjusted out, the technique is in the service manual. The front blade with dual hydraulics (lift AND angle) is worth $400 +/-, if only single hydraulics (lift only) then $300 +/-. The bagger (if it worked) would be another $150-200 and if he is throwing it in the deal, I'd take it. Also if there are any cast iron wheel weights laying around, be sure to get them as they are $150 a pair used, $200 new IF you can find them. At less than 500 hours, it's a low hour machine or the hour meter is broken, but your description indicates that they may not have been easy hours.

As to whether or not it's worth $1500-$1800, the 318s are not selling as high as they were 3 or 4 years ago, unless in near pristene condition, so that sounds about right, but of course I haven't seen it. What to look for is obvious neglect, leaks, blue smoke out the exhaust, rough sounding engine at idle, mid throttle, full throttle. Cracked hoses on the snow plow, tampered with safety switch under the seat, frayed wires, "custom" wiring (bad splices in the harness), mouse nests under the engine shroud, check fluid levels in the hydro, oil level, condition of air filter (gives an indication of quality of maintenance). Caution flags should go up if you see duct tape holding anything anywhere, check the mower deck bearings for noise, blade wobble, check the blades for condition, look for bent sheet metal, missing grill, cracked hood, bent brake pedals, smashed lights, wobbly front axle, bent rims, miss-matched tires, check the responciveness of the power steering. Comes down to using your ears, eyes, nose and touch (no need to taste anything). The 318 was/is the gold standard of garden tractors, there was nothing in it's class that was better and not many today that come close either.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: