JD 400/ corrosion at cylinder liner to block seal

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 400/ corrosion at cylinder liner to block seal

Chris I'm rebuilding a JD 400 with a 202D engine. I just got the liners out and after cleaning up the lower sealing surface on the block I've found a fair bit of pitting. I don't see oversized liners on the JD parts catalog so I take it that is not an option. Has anyone else gotten to this point and what was your solution?

Thanks

ross Was the pitting on the block or on the liner itself. If its on the liner it's not that uncommon to see pitting if your antifreeze isn't that good. If the pitting is where the orings seal, then your going to have to put in new piston/sleeve kits.
Chris The pitting is on the block where the o-rings sit. I have not found any liner kits for an oversized bore. This leads me to conclude that the seats in the block need to repaired not resized.

In another forum I've read that some people have used JB weld or similar epoxy and then rehoned the seats by hand. I also came across references to using silicone in addition to the seals. I doubt I can afford to have the block repaired by a shop so I am looking for feedback on the latter two repair ideas.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: