SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1" solid rocker pin removal

Douglas Hiatt
1" solid rocker pin removal

In the process of trying to remove the 1" pin attaching the rocker.
I assumed rod and 2 LB maul would drive it out
not a chance.
I then tried a pneumatic air hammer, nothing!
Hard to get to with liquid wrench.
Tried a little heat on the cast lug on housing thinking I could open the hole a little, no movement.
What am I missing?

Bob G I decided I really did not need to remove mine. It is the same as yours with the mover bracket.
Douglas Hiatt The reason I want to remove the rocker is to adjust the yoke that is threaded onto the draft control rod.
I have the lid off the Hyd. box and the manual tells me after reassembly to adjust the draft spring free play.
I can't rotate the yoke with the rocker on.

Bob G Understand, I think the yoke was frozen in place on mine and could not rotate it. I works fine the way it is so I left it. My other 8n, I had to a adjust a bit. It rotated with out taking the rocker off but it does not have the mower bracket on it. I see in your picture there is only one bolt in the mower bracket. Is it adjusted all the way out? without going out to look at mine, I think that limits how far the rocker will move aft.
good luck

Jim Loveridge Interesting problem. I don't have any experience with the hydraulic system except for bleeding it. That pin might be slightly bent. I would use some PB Blaster on it and continue heating and cooling. I don't think you are missing anything. Let us know if you ever got it out.
Bob G
Re: 1" solid rocker pin removal

Push come to shove, and you really need to adjust the yoke, you could cut where marked on my photo which would allow the top link to fold further aft allowing you to turn the yoke. I have found that most yokes are frozen on the threads also.

PB blaster and lots of time may loosen the pin, I did not want to break the diffy housing so I quit while I was ahead.

the cutting off of the mower bracket is just an idea for you to think about.

Douglas Hiatt The yoke and draft pin threads are clean and adjust easy. The top plate for hyd. box is going back on today.
When I go out to the shop I will check the two threaded adjuster lugs. One is broken and may be threaded in to the limit, not allowing the rocker to fall back aft far enough to rotate the yoke.
Thanks for the great idea.
I had the same fear that too much force with the
two pound maul could crack the lug on the rear end housing.
I think putting it back together, adjusting the best I can, fresh paint and new cotter pins in both ends will be the fix.
Doug

Bob G Agree, sometime we can fix it to the point we break it!
Good luck

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: