SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Temp Gauge and Coolant Levels

Michael Lacey I need to change out the temp gauge. Do you think i could get away with it without draining the entire coolant fluid?

Any suggestions?

A) There is alot of coolant and its not cheap. B)Since i just rebuilt the engine and put a new rad in, the coolant is brand new. I'd hate to waste it (yes, i should have done this at the same time, but i wasn't thinking!!)

thank you.

Bob G depending on what tractor and where the temp bulb is I would think you would not have to drain all that much, also I would catch what you drain out and reuse it, even if you have to filter it.
mark sr Like Bob said, you only need to drain down to the temperature sending unit. I suppose if you were quick you could pull the old sending unit out and immediately screw in the new and then just top off the radiator ..... but I think it's easier/better to drain off however much and not have to rush.
Jim Loveridge Michael, haven't heard from you in awhile. If you just want to replace the gauge, just do it, you won't loose any coolant. If you need to change the tube also, then do what Bob said. Just drain some coolant into a clean container, then pour it back in when your done.
Michael Lacey 53' NAA model.

Great information gentleman, thank you! Anything to avoid the "oh sh%t" moment and a mess in my garage when i pull the thermocouple.

thanks again!

Michael Lacey 53' NAA model.

Great information gentleman, thank you! Anything to avoid the "oh sh%t" moment and a mess in my garage when i pull the thermocouple.

thanks again!

Michael Lacey Ok, i managed to drain about a gallon of fluid and I successfully avoided any spills when i pulled the old insert.

However, i tightened the new one as much as i could (not much room for leverage) and the insert that fits through the nut and into the block has some play in it. i can move it around with my hand. that doesnt seem right.

thoughts?

Bob G You are right, that does not seem right at all. I would compare it to the old one for size, maybe one metric and one standard?
Wes I have the same problem. It is said that a 3/8" ferrule is needed to set the probe in the block.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: