SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1948 Ford 8N question

Russ I mow with my 1948 8N as I have for the past few years. But when I mowed about a week ago, the tractor acted like is was under a heavy load. I disconnected the pto to the mower and nothing changed. It would only go about 1/2 as fast as it usually does, and was especially tough for it to move in reverse. It is almost like the brakes are locked on it, but they are not.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

mark sr How does it run at an idle, will it rev up while in neutral? Have you checked all the fluid levels?
Russ Thanks Mark. Funny you should ask....actually it will not rev up in neutral-- and that is new. I went through my manual and it appears that my next move should be to check the hydraulic fluid levels.Thanks for your reply.
Bob G Sounds more like an engine problem than hydraulic. Maybe Governor, how's the oil pressure?
Jim Loveridge I would check for good strong spark at all 4 plugs and check to see if one or two might be fouled. It might just need a tune up.
ED also chech to to make sure the air filter isnt clogged up
Russ Thanks Ed. I checked the air filter and it was totally plugged up. I cleaned it up and the tractor runs perfectly again.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: