SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

PTO Overrun Coupler!?

Michael Lacey What are these "overrun couplers" on the PTO I keep seeing and hearing about? Do they serve any purpose? It looks like they are just adapters that allow a larger size coupler on the PTO.

I am not familiar with these at all, so pardon my incorrect use of any of the terminology.

ob G The over run coupler/clutch on the pto is used when one is using a brush hog type mower. On tractors that do not have live PTO like the n series, when you push in the clutch the PTO stops turning. With brush hog type mower the rotating blades will try to drive the tractor forward which can be a dangerous thing. What the ORC does is disengages the mower any time the mower RPM is higher than the PTO. If you push in the clutch the mower will spin free without pushing the tractor.

They are also known as a one way clutch or a sprag clutch. a side benefit is the size bit. my tractors have a 1 1/8 PTO and shaft on mower is 1 3/8 so that is the OrC that I have. I would not run a mower without one!

If you do not have a brush hog type mower you really do not need one. Also the PTO cover does not fit when the ORC is installed.

If you have any more question just ask away! Gives me something to do sometimes!

lewis rosser Why has the coupler on the yoke of my PTO begun falling off?...how does the shear pin, which is a rolled pin, actually function?
Any input would be appreciated...
Thanks, L

Bob G Start a new topic and it will show up at the top. I seldom look this for down.
Are you saying the ORC is falling off? the rolled pin is not a shear pin. It is there to keep ORC on the PTO shaft.

barry i have a t0 20 ferguson 49 model it has the over ride clutch on it and i want to take it off, i have lined up the hole on clutch and pto shaft was giong to punch the pin out but there is not one in it, i dont know if i had the right hole or what i am not use to these tractor with out the live lift i had a 50 8n for my first tractor and then bought a 3000 ford and i had it for around 15 years sold it now i have this feruson and dont know how to get the over ride clutch off any help would be good , thanks

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: