SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

2N will turn over but no spark from plugs so no ignition

Nathanial so i installed new plugs, cables, points, condenser, rotor and Gaskets. i also installed a key ignition (that way I'm not as likely to leave the ignition on again.)
no spark.....
i got a new coil for a spare just in-case my old one was a bad part. swapped it out still no spark.

when i turn my ignition key to the off position my batter gauge is at 0 when i turn the switch to on it wiggles then goes back to 0. Is this correct?
the engine still turns over just no ignition.
could the issue be caused by the petroleum jelly that i used with the new cables? (might have gotten on the conductive ends )

Bob G Get a volt meter and see if you have battery voltage to the coil wire from key switch. remove from coil before you check it. only reads battery voltage when the points are open.

what did you gap the points to? should be 0.015"
petroleum jerry highly unlikely to cause the problem.

Jim Loveridge If you have a volt meter or even a test light you need to prove that battery is getting to the primary terminal on the coil. If not then move back to the ballast resistor then to the switch. If you do have battery at the coil, then you need to double check everything inside the distributor. Points gaped at .015, check for a short to ground with an ohm meter (points open). Make sure the little pig tail is making contact to the metal terminal down in the distributor cap. Make sure the points close and clean the contacts with a little peace of paper bag. Sometimes they come out of the box with something on them. Let us know if all this doesn't work or even if it did.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: