SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Over-Eager One-Wire Generator

Mr. Sharkey OK, finally got around to rebuilding the carb on the old 9N, also began rewiring the rat's nest behind the dash (most of it was disconnected).

The one-wire generator wasn't charging, so I found the cutout was defective. Putting my volt meter on the generator output revealed it was 35 volts!!! Figuring it was because it was unloaded, I bypassed the cutout with the engine running. The generator immediately started pumping 20+ amps into the battery and ran the voltage up to 16+ volts (12 volt, pos gnd system).

Disassembled the generator, cleaned up the insides, freed up the third brush adjuster, etc. Reassembled with the same end results, even with the adjustment at it's lowest setting.

While I'm very pleased that the generator seems so ambitious, how to I get it to reign in it's enthusiasm just a bit and keep the current down and the voltage within reasonable limits?

I'm tempted to yank out the third brush and bring the field winding lead out the back on a terminal so I can control the generator output with a custom solid state circuit of my own design.

Oh, and before the tear down/rebuild, the generator was running very hot, in spite of not being connected to anything.

Shorted armature?
Runaway self-exciting?

I'm not looking for a powerful charging system for a lot of accessories, just enough to keep the battery topped up. Really would like to avoid another project, so attempting to stay away from converting to a Delco, etc.

Ideas?

Bob G 12 volt generator that is putting out 35 volts!!With a cutout yet! I think you are on your own on this one!
Good luck!

Jim Loveridge I don't know what you have there. But it seems to me that installing a Delco one wire alternator is a whole lot simpler than the modification you are considering. JMHO.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: