SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

8n steering

dan I rebuilt my 8n steering because it turned hard. all new bushings and bearings etc. But now I have to much play in the steering . The shaft does go up and down as I turn the steering wheel. Where did I *&^%$ up.??
Bob G The fact that the steering wheel goes up and down is usually a sign of bearing problems. I had a real hard time getting one together and keeping the lower bearing in place. I did not know about the bearing keeper and destroyed the first bearing.
Play in the gears usually can be adjusted out.
Which model steering box do you have? Assume you have the FO-4 service manual.

dan Yes and yes The bearing keeper may be the problem. But to check it will take a lot of undoing. I don't think it is just the ply adjustment because I have at least a full turn of play and I can pull up on the steering shaft about 1/2 in. well off to the garage. I hope I haven.t harmed the bearings. They are new. It was last fall when I did this work and it got to cold to finish, and I don't even remember if I put in a bearing keeper. Damn back yard mechanics.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: