SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

NAA oil filter

mark sr For several yrs I've had a slight oil leak at the cartridge filter. I think it's mostly caused by the bolt head being rounded off making it difficult to get it tight although I have had trouble getting the gasket to seat. The front end loader framing makes it a little difficult to access.

Since I've not found anyone that sells new bolts I figure I have 2 options, either weld a nut onto the existing bolt or buy the conversion kit and start using spin on filters. Any thoughts?

Bob G Have you checked on ebay? any of them can and will make a mess.
mark sr No, I hadn't looked on ebay [only bought something there once and it wasn't near as good shape as advertised] or for any used bolts. I'm a little leery of used, scared I'd get one that either had bad threads or pliers sized bolt.
Bob G It is always a gamble on ebay, I have gotten good parts and bad. I did a look yesterday and saw nothing. Might be time to change over. kit is pretty reasonable.
Jim Loveridge Mark, I converted mine to a spin-on a few years ago. It works well for me, but I don't have a front end loader. My bolt head was still in decent shape. I might be willing to part with it.
mark sr Jim, how does the conversion work? While I've found 2 for sale they didn't have pics. How does the spin on filter attach to the engine, does it stick out like the canister does? If so, how far does it stick out? or does it hang down?
Jim Loveridge It's just an adapter plate from some other Ford engine that has a nipple that screws into the female fitting that your bolt now uses and that holds the plate in place, so now you have a male fitting for the filter and the plate has the boss for the seal on the filter. Mine sticks out 5 inches.
mark sr Thanks Jim! At 5" it sticks out a little less than the canister, possibly the same when you screw it off of the threads. I think I'll order one - should make changing the filter easier too.
dan hill I would not use a spin on filter on my tractor.Saw one leak from being hit by a stone.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: