SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

8n conversion wiring problem

Ken A guy worked on the tractor last Summer but I didn't start it (no battery and wasn't using it)until this Spring. When we got it started promptly burned up some wires. Rewired as best I could figure out and she still melted the insulation off the wire from ammeter to solenoid. I double checked the 8n conversion wiring diagram and can find nothing wrong. Any suggestions?
Bob G I would check the terminals on the amp meter. They should be insulated from ground. should have rubber or plastic insulator around them. If a wire is melting the insulation, then you have a short.
Ken So it could be shorting on the back of the ammeter?
Bob G Yes, you could check it with an ohm meter to see if either post is grounded.
Ken So I guess the post that's grounding is the one the burnt wire is attached to but I think the light switch is attached to same one and it didn't melt. Don't have an ohm meter or know how to use one. So alternative would be loosen everything and visually check for insulation material? A little gasket, o-ring or such?
Bob G The wire that will melt is the one that is between the point of the short and the source of the power. I would take the wire off of the amp meter and then with battery connected touch the wire from the solenoid to a ground. You should get a spark. Then try it to the post on the ammeter. If the ammeter is shorted out you will get the same spark.

a good visual check might detect a problem but noting like a cheap ohm meter or test light. Might be a good time to get one and learn how to use it. I got a real cheap one from Harbour Freight.

Ken Thanks. Soon as the rain stops, will try that.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: