SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

8n Getting hot

barry My 1950? 8N has been running hot for quite q while, I have flushed the system put on a new water pump, hoses and I finally put a new head gasket on it. It still gets hot. I noticed yesterday that when I revved it up it blew water straight out of the radiator about 2 feet high. I don't think it has a cracked head because there is no water in the oil. Could the radiator be stopped up??

Thanks, Barry

Bob G A lot of times when someone says there machine is gettin hot, it is just a case of overfilling the radiator. should just cover the tubes.

radiators do get clogged up.

Have you checked the thermostat?

mark sr How long does it take it to overheat?
Barry Pretty quick, 10 to 15 minutes
Barry Does the thermo go in the pipe that the top hose hooks to? If it does it dosent have one.

Thanks Barry

mark sr I'm not real familiar with the 8N but the thermostat should be in the housing that the top hose connects to at the block.
Bob G The thermostat in an 8n goes in the top hose, should have a clamp around it to hold it in place.
Barry There is no thermostat in the upper hose, so I guess that isn't the problem.

Thanks, Barry

Bob G You might just put one there and see what happens. Just be sure you install it correctly!
Bob G Why would you rev it up without the radiator cap on it? the coolant will take the path of least resistance. How do you know it is running hot? Do you have a temp gauge?
Paul Yoder Similar problem as above. What's the solution?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: