SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

NAA Starter

Michael Lacey Contemplating replacing my starter. I found one for $165 at Steiner. Is the starter (assuming its original, i dont know) like other originals....meaning fix them, dont replace them!?

The wire from the solenoid that runs to the starter is heating up and smoking during some starts. The stud coming from the starter the wire connects to has worn threads so the nut does not fasten the negative wire securly and consequently it doesnt start well. Other times it fine.

thoughts? I am very weak in the electrical department.

mark sr The starter is rebuildable including replacement of that stud. I had to replace the stud on my NAA starter a year or so ago. You have to pull the oil filter in order to take the starter off.
Jim Loveridge If you can find an auto electric shop near you, that's the best route. I had my 2N starter rebuilt last summer for $125.00. I think you are better off rebuilding yours then getting some factory rebuild. By the way, your electrical knowledge isn't that bad. Loose connections create heat.
Bob G Loose connections create high resistance which creates the heat. Like the others have said find a local repair shop and have it rebuilt. Money well spent. You might check the wire and make sure the terminals are connected to the wire real good.
Michael Lacey Thanks guys.

While researching further, I actualy found a company that specializes in Ford tractor restorations....and its only an hour from my house!!

Arthurstractors.com

I'll be sending the starter for a rebuild and I plan to go see him about rebuilding the engine.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: