SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

starter on NAA locked up

jack m I was yanking on a log down the hill, killed the engine and probably hit the starter too quick. Now the starter starts to crsnk but won't turn over. I don't know if something in the gear box at the starter button came loose, or the starter at the flywheel hung up.
Any thoughts on where to start looking?

mark sr It's out of gear when you try to start it, right? Does the starter just click? Have tried pushing the little button at the bottom of the solenoid to see if it turns over that way?

If you can't figure it out you'll likely need to pull the starter ..... and that means removing the oil filter first.

Bob G You might try jump starting directly to the starter.
Bob G Make sure it is not still in a gear or two! can you roll or rock the tractor and make sure engine does not turn over.
Jim Loveridge It might not be the starter at all. Why did the engine stop? I would try releasing the log, and try rolling down the hill in gear, clutch down, then release the clutch and see what happens. Let us know.
jack m Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try the ones I can.
I like the idea of letting it roll downhill, but it's on flat ground. Anyhow, I'll let you know what finally works.

Ed first i would make sure the battery isnt dead..if its hot then check your connections,,might just be something minor your overlooking
jack m It turns out the drive gear on the starter broke. The broken tooth hung up between the flywheel and the front of the housing.
Bob G Thanks for the feedback!

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: