SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

8N steering box rebuild

Bradley Burke I am rebuilding the steering gear box om my 1949 8N. The steering shaft and wheel needed to be replaced so I want to replace all the bearings while I am at it. The gear box has been removed. In order to remove the lower bearing seat, I turned the gear box over and there is a hole that has a 1 1/4" dia steel plug, which when removed allowed me to access the the bearing seat to pop it out. Problem is the plug is was damaged and needs to be replaced. I don't see it listed anyplace where steering parts are available. The only mention I see of it at all is online where a rebuild procedure is outlined and it is called a welsh plug. That is at http://www.ntractorclub.com/howtos/pdfs/Steering-Box-Late-8N-Steering-Rebuild.pdf, if you want to check it out, Look at step 4. Any ideas where I might find a replacement for the plug?
Bob G I found a real good size selection at my local NAPA store. they are also called freeze plugs abut welsh plug is the correct name.
Good luck

Jim Loveridge Have you tried doing a search on 1 1/4 inch welch plug? I came up with a listing for one for a Mercury Marine among other things. Also try doing a search on 'fasteners'. Let us know if you found one.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: