SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

8n Hydraulic problem

Mike Silverson While moving a small trailer with my 8n (ball on the blade) my blade suddenly wouldn't raise. Removed the inspection cover and saw a major leak. Took it apart and the hydraulic piston had broke where the dogbone pushes it. Ordered a new style o ring piston and reassembled everything. The blade comes up but slowly goes down. Could there be a priming prob, or the piston sticking? I'm new to the tractor club and appreciate any guidance
Bob G If you put the o ring piston in a bore that was scored up, you could be getting leakage at the piston. If it only drops when you shut it off, I would not worry about it. You might take the side panel off and see where it is leaking.
Mike s The cylinder wasn't scored and with the side cover off and it running I don't see a leak. Its very slow to lower. I was afraid the wiping ring would come out of the groove when sliding in the piston ( no way to see it) I just didn't know if there was any other steps besides filling it back up with fluid and using it.The blade does come down when I shut off the engine.
Bob G I assume you put the backup ring in the correct position. I say ack up ring because thaat is what it does, backs up the o ring.

If yu are not seeing a overhead leak when it is running with the lift up, then it is not the piston leaking. You may have a relief valve or dump valve leaking on the pump.

If the hydraulics are doing what you what them to do, I would say you do not have much of a problem. Neither of my 8n's will stay up very long when i shut them off.
enjoy your tractor!

Mike Silverson The blade raises fine but with the side inspection cover off I have to move, by hand, the long lever to lower the blade. Is that the safety valve spring weak or an issue with the control lever itself? It was fine until the piston issue. The blade will stay up overnight.
bob g Sounds like that the arm may have gotten bent when fixing the cylinder. Should be pretty straight!

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: