SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

steering on a ford tractor

ed brunoro hi everybody : i have a light industrial , 3 cylinder tractor . i think its a 515 . it is the equivalent of a ford 4000 or 4600 . problem is the steering . the anchor for p.s. broke off on casting under rad . i tried to change to a external power steering as found on ordinary 4000 ford . big problem - when you would normally turn right - it turns left and when you want to go left it goes right . i'm losing my mind - this tractor has been a bundle of problems . can anyone help me solve this problem . its too dangerous to drive it this way . thanks , eddy
HarveyW Hi Ed, welcome to the SSB tractor forum.

Your tractor has "power assist" steering, which means that you have manual steering through your steering gearbox, assisted by your PS hydraulic system.

The control valve for the 515 power steering is inside one end of the PS cylinder and is actuated by external linkage to the manual steering linkage. For Ford 4000/4600 tractors the PS control valve is mounted on top of the steering gearbox.

To switch over to a Ford 4000 or 4600 PS system, you would have to install the complete PS system from the donor tractor. Including the PS steering gearbox.

What you are describing is not possible, unless you have a broken steering gearbox. Jack up your front axle and steer to see if the gearbox is functional.

I would contact Roland Jackson, founder of Jackson Power Steering, and see what he provide for a power steering system.

ed brunoro hello harvey : thanks so much for your reply . i have found a manual steering box that turns the proper way and am putting on an external power assist cylinder . i hope that there will not be anymore surprises . i bought this tractor about 7 years ago and it has been a headache . i had replaced the manual steering with a power steering column from a 4000 . now i am replacing that system . very hard to find parts . again thanks . ed

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: