SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us

Search This Message Board:
Posted by HarveyW on Saturday, March 24, 2018:

In Reply to: steering on a ford tractor posted by ed brunoro on Friday, March 23, 2018:

Hi Ed, welcome to the SSB tractor forum.

Your tractor has "power assist" steering, which means that you have manual steering through your steering gearbox, assisted by your PS hydraulic system.

The control valve for the 515 power steering is inside one end of the PS cylinder and is actuated by external linkage to the manual steering linkage. For Ford 4000/4600 tractors the PS control valve is mounted on top of the steering gearbox.

To switch over to a Ford 4000 or 4600 PS system, you would have to install the complete PS system from the donor tractor. Including the PS steering gearbox.

What you are describing is not possible, unless you have a broken steering gearbox. Jack up your front axle and steer to see if the gearbox is functional.

I would contact Roland Jackson, founder of Jackson Power Steering, and see what he provide for a power steering system.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):



Sign Up For Our Monthly Special Sales!