SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS

Search This Message Board:
Posted by Ernie S on Saturday, March 28, 2015:

In Reply to: 1944 ford 2n: turns over fine and runs for 10-20 min then dies posted by Nathanial on Saturday, April 12, 2014:

I have an 8N, front mount distributor and had a similar problem. Changed out the coil because coils will notoriously become faulty if left “on” (ignition on, points closed, not running) for a period of time. This discharges the battery through the ignition coil via the points. I changed out the coil but still had a problem. Finally pulled the distributor while noting the position of the rotor. Changed out points, condenser, rotor, cap and coil. Assembled on the bench using all the proper gaskets. Noted the rotor position prior to installing the cap (marked the engagement cog on the distributor shaft) and reinstalled the distributor. Double checked all the wiring to make sure everything was okay. Changed out the resistor with an off-the-shelf Chrysler-type and hooked up all the wiring. Then I installed a simple weather-proof toggle switch on the dash and put a shunt across the ignition resistor. When I start the tractor I flip the switch up to bypass the resistor. Tractor now starts fine and I just flip the bypass switch off after it starts. Problem apparently solved.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: