SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS

Search This Message Board:
Posted by mrlewp87 on Sunday, May 18, 2014:

Huh? (ha) Here's the deal. Pardon my naive-ness(?), but I'm drooling over the thought of getting on with the installation of this brand new distributor on my 53 Jubilee! Did my best imitation of Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor when it arrived via UPS a few days ago.
I feel fairly confident I could go about it on memory alone if I had to, based on the studying up I've done. Not that it's a walk in the park, and nothing could possibly go awry. I'll have plenty of notes and print-outs on hand, to be sure.
Here's the jist of my post; the points are going to be at their widest gap, at a time determined by the shape of the cam (hi-tech terms escape me for now, try and follow ;-) Soon, maybe tomorrow, I'll remove the cap, rotor and dust-cover, and try rotating the shaft to see this amazing technology at work. (ha) I know the basics of settings the points gap, and have the specs I'll need on my Jube. So....(finally) the question;
If I'm able to set the appropriate gap, as the cam is pushing to it's maximum against that "thing" on the point set-- AND... I can visually see that the rotor (on the shaft now-minus dust cap) is pointing to Plug 1's terminal (knowing the cap's position when in place)..... see where I'm going with this? What's to change anything, once the distributor is CORRECTLY inserted and installed- with piston No.1 at TDC ??
I know, there's the slant-toothed gear that will create some turning of the shaft going in. That's the case regardless, right? And you may need to back out and restart the insertion, in order to end up with the rotor in the correct position, is that right?
I'm just thinking that this first time, with the new points- would be easier going with the unit on a workbench, rather than sticking out the side of a tractor. I could be way off in left field. Nothing new there. Ha.
I have a timing light. And I know,.. there's this "dwell" thing also. I'm not sure I'd know what to do with that, anyway. I've read about others that ignore it, and use their ear! I'm not there, yet...... So, just on the gap settings, what say you?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: