ym 1700 cooling system

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Yanmar Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

ym 1700 cooling system

Jerry I recently posted a message about my ym 1700's cooling system. I by passed the temp light and just went by my guage. The temp. continued to rise to over 215 degrees. IT takes about 15 to 20 min. to get hot.
I shut it down to cool. I have a 5' finishing mower and I am cutting in HI 2nd gear with the rpm's@ 2000 to 2500. The same thing happened again. So i dropped down to 4th low. And the same thing again. So i parked my tractor and ran it out of gear with the pto engaged to see if it would run hot. The highest the temp would get was just over 190 degrees.

Gary : I recently posted a message about my ym 1700's cooling system. I by passed the temp light and just went by my guage. The temp. continued to rise to over 215 degrees. IT takes about 15 to 20 min. to get hot.
: I shut it down to cool. I have a 5' finishing mower and I am cutting in HI 2nd gear with the rpm's@ 2000 to 2500. The same thing happened again. So i dropped down to 4th low. And the same thing again. So i parked my tractor and ran it out of gear with the pto engaged to see if it would run hot. The highest the temp would get was just over 190 degrees.

Jerry; Have you tried blowing the dirt and dust out of the fins of your radiator using an air hose or water hose? I think it is plugged up and can't get enough air through the fins to draw the heat out. Gary

Allen : I recently posted a message about my ym 1700's cooling system. I by passed the temp light and just went by my guage. The temp. continued to rise to over 215 degrees. IT takes about 15 to 20 min. to get hot.
: I shut it down to cool. I have a 5' finishing mower and I am cutting in HI 2nd gear with the rpm's@ 2000 to 2500. The same thing happened again. So i dropped down to 4th low. And the same thing again. So i parked my tractor and ran it out of gear with the pto engaged to see if it would run hot. The highest the temp would get was just over 190 degrees.

I also have a YM1700 and a 5 ft. finishing mower. The temperature varies from approximately 190F-210F under normal conditions. Normally I mow in 6th or 7th. In 6th, it rarely gets over 190-200F, regardless of the engine RPM. However, in 7th, I have seen 220F. Mine seems to run a few degress cooler if I keep the engine RPM under 2000 RPM (in 7th). Now for a little background, I have had the radiator cleaned, have a new radiator cap, and I flushed the system a couple of times.

Questions:

1.) Does it boil over or spew coolant out the over flow bottle? Based on several postings that I have read, 215F is about normal for a YM1700.

2.) You mentioned that you have bypassed the temperature switch. I assume that you now have an aftermarket automotive sensor instead of the switch.

3.)You may want to try a lower concentration of anti-freeze, if your climate will allow. Some have claimed that the engine runs cooler with 20%-30% anti-freeze.

4.) Once again, 215F is not out of line, however, you may need to flush your system, make sure the fins are clean and try a new radiator cap. These are the most common causes for overheating.

5. And Last, keep the RPMs down to around 2000 or so. At this engine speed you will also be close tothe recommended speed of the PTO (540) for your mower.

Allen : I recently posted a message about my ym 1700's cooling system. I by passed the temp light and just went by my guage. The temp. continued to rise to over 215 degrees. IT takes about 15 to 20 min. to get hot.

Jerry - I went down a few postings and read where you have already flushed the system and are using 30% antifreeze. Regarding the temp switch coming on at 205, many others have reported problems with flaky switches. If my memory is correct, the light should come on a 230F.

I would go to the local auto parts store and try a new STANT 13 psi radiator cap. This has solved the problem for many others.

jerry : I recently posted a message about my ym 1700's cooling system. I by passed the temp light and just went by my guage. The temp. continued to rise to over 215 degrees. IT takes about 15 to 20 min. to get hot.
: I drained my radiator and put a 50-50 mixture. My screen and radiator fins are clear. Tighten my fan belt a little but not to tight. and went to cutting grass. the temp. would go to 215 then I could watch it drop down to 205 and then back up to 215 and drop again. seems to me that means that the water is cirulating. 215 is the hottest it's gotten so far . I shut it down to cool. I have a 5' finishing mower and I am cutting in HI 2nd gear with the rpm's@ 2000 to 2500. The same thing happened again. So i dropped down to 4th low. And the same thing again. So i parked my tractor and ran it out of gear with the pto engaged to see if it would run hot. The highest the temp would get was just over 190 degrees.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Yanmar Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: