YM 1700 Overheating

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Yanmar Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

YM 1700 Overheating

Casey My 1700 over heats fast (about 10to15 minutes). Why is this? Running a 5 foot JBar finnish mower. Pulls it just fine. Never run over 2000 rpm's . I dont have to. Can any one help? Is this a common problem? Any info would be great!
woody You may have a bad sending unit or possibly a clogged radiator also some of these tractors came over from japan with pure antifreeze and it will run hotter than a mixture of 60% water and 40% antifreeze also do you have and overflo bottle on your tractor very important that you do. good luck.
Casey Thanks for the info Woody! I do have an overflow, and I cahnged my mixture as well. Nothing seemed to work. I noticed that the light was on but the radiator never boiled over. I ran her pretty good for about 15 minutes and nothing. I wonder if it is not just bad info that is setting off the light? I am still trying. Thanks for your input (a bunch). Casey.

Al I don't think it's common. I'd check the coolant, then make sure the rad and the hood grills are clear. To check the thermostat, put it in a pot of water on the stove, and see if it opens before the water boils. Then I'd run it for 15' with the rad cap off or on loose (no pressure); if there's still no boiling, it's likely the sending unit or temp display.
john ym1700 has no thermostat in it ckeck for bubbles in raditor when fifst crank up if so head needs to be checked also head gasket
Charles The only way to know true temp is to install a temp gauge. I have a 1700 and the red light came on often so I installed a gauge and found it to be running at around 200 after cutting deep grass for two hours. An Auto store type gauge will bolt right on to your 1700. I had to do without the red light....but I think there is a way to have both gauge and light....I just figured who needs a light if you know the acyual temp.
Good Luck

I love my 1700

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Yanmar Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: