F15D Rear wheel drive problems

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Yanmar Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

F15D Rear wheel drive problems

Sam Jarnigan Recently bought a 15D, used a couple of times and now rear wheels don't move, front wheels still turn in 4wd. Differntial lock doesn't work now either and it did when I got the tractor. Ideas on where to start????
wayne When you say "don't move" I assume you mean they have no drive power...if they REALLY don't move, you could have a variety of problems. And if the rear wheels don't move (or have drive power) then you couldn't tell if the the diff lock worked.

If you engaged the diff lock with the wheel spinning you likely broke one or both stub axles....the result would be no rear wheel drive. Several hundred (as in 2-3 anyway) in parts and 3-5 hours labor....if it's just one side.

Sam Jarnigan
There is also a clunking sound in the rear trans as you drive it.

Norm Unless you are saying it used to drive IF you pressed the diff lock but does not now, I would guess sheared ring and pinion gears, (next to impossible to get). However, no way to tell without an inspection.
Al Could be minor, but more likely needs replacement of some heavy bits. Need more info.

How can you drive it to get that sound if the rears don't move? What were you doing when the problem arose? How do you know the diff lock doesn't work if the rears don't move? Did the lock control return to the off position? Why and how were you operating the lock?

A possible next step when we get back to you is to jack the rears off the ground, put in neutral, and see if either can be turned by hand (or better four hands), then gingerly see if the motor will move either.

Ernies Imports Im with Norm on this one = ring & pinion very hard to get for an f16
Sam Jarnigan It drives when you have it in 4 wheel drive and that is when it started making the noise. I was bushogging when I lost power to the rear wheels. The diff lock quit workig befor I lost power to the rear wheels. While bushhogging the rear wheels started to spin,so I stopped and pushed down on the diff lock, and when I started going again only one wheel was turning.
Norm "The diff lock quit workig befor I lost power to the rear wheels. While bushhogging the rear wheels started to spin,so I stopped and pushed down on the diff lock, and when I started going again only one wheel was turning."

This statement does not make sense, you need to start over. Both rear wheels will not spin unless the diff lock is engaged; however if you lost all forward motion and wheel spin from either wheel , engaged the diff lock and got spin from 1 wheel, then diff lock is working and you have lost drive in 1 wheel, probably a sheared brake pinion shaft.

Eddie I happened to be reading about Sam's problem and would like to ask a question for myself. I have a 1700 2WD with the same problem. My diff lock is broken (have removed seat and looked inside). I can't get either wheel to engage through the ring & pinion. I can turn the tires by hand, I can turn the ring & pinion with a pair of vice grips, but neither one will turn together. What do I do, no one in area wants to look at it.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Yanmar Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: