chain link fence drag

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Yanmar Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

chain link fence drag

yan 1600 I am having new 5/8 minus gravel put on my road, 2 to 3 inches thick. Have heard that dragging a chain link fence with tractor or mower is great to smooth the surface, anyone done that? Can you give me tips on how to do it? Have about an 8ft. square piece, have some re-bar and concrete blocks. was thinking of using little mower, JD 17hp to try and smooth out the bumps. Help.
yan 1600 forgot to mention, drive way is about 350ft. long, 12ft. wide. good stable base. I am not good enough with blade to smooth the new stuff or even use a fel to make it nice.
Al Did that routinely on a horse sand ring (using rebar and blocks), but not on my driveway. I think the most you'll get is some smoothing. Easier to put the fel in float and backdrag it, and learn to use the blade, with which you can engineer a crown. Just takes patience and practice.
Al Further: gravel spreads well (so is good to learn on) and drains well (so you don't really have to crown it unless you take the following step) but is not very stable. So after it's graded as you wish, add a layer of more stable material. Where I am the choices would be stone dust or crushed limestone, but what's available varies from place to place.

On your rear hitch there are two vertical struts, one with an adjusting turnbuckle or nut (and locking nut) that raises/lowers that side. Crowning requires the right adjustment, so you're constantly hopping off with wrench in hand. Bring this strut to a tractor dealer, and ask for one that has a turn-crank that you operate from the seat. (My dealer took it off a Ford.) Will cost a few bucks but you'll thank me.

Set the blade at maximum angle (as opposed to right angles to the tractor), and you can leave it there. I modified mine to get a more acute angle than the factory designed. Since there's no power down, I added a good weight to mine. When it's really bumpy it's easier blading in reverse (the tractor is always on graded ground). Try the lowest gear, with revs up. A steering wheel spinner helps.

yan 1600 Boy, thanks Al for all the good advice. I am new with this tractor thing, took me 40yrs. to get one so I have a lot of learning to do for the next go round. The blade tends to did down a lot, then I lift it a little and the next thing you know if I have a real nice wave, suitable for a ship or boat, not a road. I can grade the old road just fine, it has been there for 75 years and is pretty easy to work with. the New portion (350 some feet) is a lot more difficult. Some days I wish I had never bought a tractor, then I hear the female voice "I told you so" and its back out for another hour. Mind you that voice does not say a word when the 4 old logs are moved that have been in the way for 15yrs. or the 1/2 dozen big rocks that are an "eye sore" are now gone, just when she bangs her head in the duce and a half at 30mph in 4 wheel on 1942 suspension that I hear those angelic harps a singing "I told you so!!!". Havin some fun with the wife, hope she does not read this or Helga will to hot to handle for a while. Yan
yan 1600 Boy, thanks Al for all the good advice. I am new with this tractor thing, took me 40yrs. to get one so I have a lot of learning to do before the next life go round. The blade tends to dig down a lot, then I lift it a little and the next thing you know if I have a real nice wave, suitable for a ship or boat,kinda like a tidal wave, just a little smaller, could surf on it easy, just not a road. I can grade the old road just fine, it has been there for 75 years and is pretty easy to work with. the New portion (350 some feet or so) is a lot more difficult. Some days I wish I had never bought a tractor, then I hear the female voice a singing "I told you so" and its back out for another hour. Mind you that voice does not say a word when the 4 old logs are moved that have been in the way for 15yrs. or the 1/2 dozen big rocks that are an "eye sore" are now gone, just when she bangs her head in the duce and a half at 30mph in 4 wheel on 1942 suspension that I hear those angelic harps a singing "I told you so!!!". Havin some fun with the wife, hope she does not read this or Helga will be to hot to handle for a while. Yan

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Yanmar Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: