alternator conversion from external regulator to internal

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Oliver Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

alternator conversion from external regulator to internal

Darrell Vandivort I have a 1550 gas oliver and I recently converted it to a internally regulated alternator. When I bought the alt.the parts man said to just hook-up the hot wire from the bat which I did, but it hardly ever shows charge. It will momentarly when it starts, but that is it. What have I done or not done? Thank you!
Pat T. : I have a 1550 gas oliver and I recently converted it to a internally regulated alternator. When I bought the alt.the parts man said to just hook-up the hot wire from the bat which I did, but it hardly ever shows charge. It will momentarly when it starts, but that is it. What have I done or not done? Thank you!

Keep operating the starter with ignition off till batt. needs some more charging.
You probably don't have any drain on battery except for the startup so it doesn't need much charging.
You can also put a voltmeter on the batt. and see if it reads more than 12,6 when engine first starts up. If yes then alternator is OK.

Mark M. You may also consider that your pulley ratio may not be right for the alternator to get enough RPM to self energize.

Tim Blaise It may be a bad connection or something to that matter.

dave g. You have to try measuring the charge voltage ,if near 13.5 volts then you might have the wrong side of the amp meter hooked to the alternator output.
If you connect the output of the new alt. to the battery directly then the meter cannot measure any charging ,only loads. The old main hot wire from the old genny.probably went to the correct side of the amp (charging) meter.
That is where you should connect the new main power out to.This will show the charge correctly!
Also the pulley on the alternator probably is not small enough to give good charge. Only use a small pulley if it dosent slip,if slipping then go larger but probably not larger than the original alt size.
If the alt.is not showing good voltage out then try measuring it with all wires off of it, you should measure between its output and its case (housing) while turning! if good voltage then use a jumper to connect its output
to the tractor circuit .if you see no change then your system is either fully charged or you are not properly wired right yet, try with all connections wired and the meter on the voltage scale check if there is even one volt
of diffrence between the alt case and the tractor frame ,if there is any voltage then you dont have the alt. grounded then use a jumper from a mounting bolt (if not rubber mounting) or from a bolt on the alt housing (not the output bolt!)
Then the other end of wire to the tractor housing. if it still refuses to charge you might have a bad alt. One more thing try to charge the battery from the wire on the alt.and use its housing as the ground ,this will be a good way to test it too!
Dave G.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Oliver Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: