White Oliver 78-2-17 Backhoe Transmission fluid type ?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Oliver Tractor & White Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

White Oliver 78-2-17 Backhoe Transmission fluid type ?

Ron I have a White Oliver 78-2-17 Backhoe that is essentially an Oliver 1650 with the hydrostatic clutch fit with a 17 foot hoe.
It has a standard stick transmission with an automatic clutch that has a forward and reverse pedal to engage the clutch and control speed.
I recently discovered transmission fluid running from the clutch bell housing.

My question is if I have used the wrong transmission fluid for the clutch (DexronIII) that may have failed the seals.
---
Ron

LeGrand If you still have your Backhoe and are still having problems I would like to correspond with you. I may be able to help you.
Ron Still have it and still confused as to what the problem might be but suspect that it is a seal leak in the torque converter....not a problem that is easily solved without pulling that whopping engine.
This hoe is set up with a standard transmission and two foot pedals , one for forward and the other reverse. The torque converter is attached to the bell housing of the engine and there is a chain coupler that ties the torque converter output shaft to the input shaft of the transmission. There is no reverse gear so evidently it is not the transmission that one would have if it was set up as a friction clutch using as a tractor.
At times , I can fill it up with transmission fluid and it seems fine ....other times it will start leaking until it get sufficiently low that it won't move. The leak is from the torque converter area but it is hard to see exactly where it is coming from.
I was thinking that the wrong fluid would destroy the seal.
Let me know what you think.
---
Ron
w8ron@stratos.net

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Oliver Tractor & White Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: