Super 55 transmission leak

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Oliver Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Super 55 transmission leak

Tim After picking up this tractor 2 years ago I noticed that an appreciable amount of gear oil leaks out of what appears to be an inspection plate on the bottom of the transmission. I assume the tractor has to be split in order to replace a failed seal but have been unable to find a catalog that shows a seal kit - can anyone help with identification of the seal and a place/catalog that would sell it? I'm also interested in adjusting the voltage regulator - it is only putting out 6.3 volts and the battery needs regular charging in order to start? The throttle lever also consistently drops to a low idle and needs to be re-set constantly - is the tension of this adjusted but adjusting the tension on the sets of "disc" by tightening the bolt with a large spring under it?
Duraine Davis Yes the tractor will have to be split in two at the clutch bell housing and under the steering gear box. This is a chore but not difficut. There are several seals relating to the PTO that allows gear oil to seep out through the PTO clutches and behind the PTO drive entering the transmission. The seals can be obtained at most parts houses if you can salvage the old ones with the numbers. The main drive clutch has a hollow pto shaft aabove the pto that has a small seal in side of it but it will only leak during operation if it is bad. It is difficult to replace since it has a needle roller bearing holding in in place in the main pto dirve shaft.
I have not worked on a 55 in several years but farmed with 2 different ones and my father and I did all of our repair. Super 55 is a great tractor the pto needs respect but is far ahead of any tractor its age. Good luck get an electrical person to tell you how to set the voltage regulator it has been too long since I delt with them. I changed ours to neg. ground with alternators with built in regs for less money.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Oliver Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Name:
Email: