SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

5 star steering problem

todd amborn I have a 1958 5 star standard with a wide front. I have a problem with the steering, with tractor running I can turn steering wheel easily either direction (with 2 fingers) but the wheels don't move. All steering sectors turn into the the gear box/ pump. when i tilt the loader down and lift wheels off the ground the wheels turn, but you can stop them from turning just by holding onto a wheel but the steering wheel and all related linkage turns. Does anyone have a idea as to what the problem could be? Thank You Kindly!
Shaun Wallace Where them steel hyd lines go in each side of bolster is a cylinder on both ends. with time all orings wear out
todd amborn Thanks shaun, I dug into it after work last night and found that the worm gear is shot. Now to try and find one. Thanks again shaun. Todd
ShaunWallace If can get p/n to see if M5 same. Im parting out 2 M5s. 1 diesel 1 propane.
todd amborn After I took the assembly apart last night I found out that what broke was a roll pin in the steering housing. And due to that pin breaking it took out all those shimes so I am trying to find shime stock in order to keep the correct amount of play. Thanks Shaun! Todd
todd Can anyone tell me if it would be a bad idea to replace the 80/90 gear lube in the steering box of a 1958 5 star standard with tube grease? The problem I have is that where the steering sector enters the steering box I cannot get that to seal.There is a snap ring inside the steering box and one on the outside and has a o ring as a seal, now I either am putting to much gear lube in there or it is only suppose to have enough to just wet the very bottom of the worm gear. But either way it is going to leak is that the norm with this steering sector? Thank you for any advise. Todd
Tim Jones I have an extra worm gear off an M5 I can give you the part # if you want and you could check it with the 5 star

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: