MF 135 Transmission Fluid

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF 135 Transmission Fluid

Arman M. G. Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my MF135. The other week I was using it to mow one of my fields and when I put it in Reverse, the shift stick got stuck in reverse. I tried everything to get it out of reverse with no luck. I drove it back to my workshop (backwards) and finally got it out of reverse after playing with the PTO lever and clutch. I was using it for mowing again this week and the same thing happened. I decided to check the transmission fluid. I started to drain it and 8 gallons of transmission came out in the color similar to caramel!

Is that the normal color to the used tranny fluid and any tips on how to get the stuck shifter out of 'reverse'? I am thinking the shifter got stuck because of the fluid.

Also, what type of tranny fluid can I use in the MF135? Does it HAVE to be the special oil or can I add something like ATF +3 or Dextron III?

Thank you!

William Bos Hi,

Do yourself a favour and get a parts manual and a service manual. Also , use only the recommended fluid in this.... Not ATF!!

Also, here is a link to MF Guru Big Dean Austins website. He was a MF mechanic for 27 years, and has been very helpful to alot of us on here!!

http://hometown.aol.com/bigdean62/

Take care

Will

Arman M. G. Yep, got both manuals, 2 binders full of info. I know it said to use recommended fluid. I will visit NAPA tomorrow to see if they could help me out.

About the tranny being stuck in reverse...how would I go about that? It seems to get stuck after I have operated the PTO at high RPM's with a mower in the back...

Already sent an email to Big Dean about this matter. Thanks guys!

John Lewis I had the same problem with the transmission hanging up in reverse. You won't find too many folks ready to work on these things, or so it seems.
I took the cover off (the first time it happened) and when you the operation, there is not a lot to it. Put it back together and it worked fine. But, it happened again after a period of time. This time I only loosened the cover and did not take it completely off. I worked the gear shift, put it together again,
and it is still working.
I am more concientious on how I shift, trying not to be in a bind when I shift.
I'm sure something is worn, but no one is willing to take the time to help, so I will live with the problem or get rid of the tractor, which is a 1974 MF150.
I love that Perkins, but things do wear out, so it may be nearing time to upgrade.
Hope you have success with your problem.

William Bos Hi,

My solution to this is, if they wont help you with your MF, then I would not buy a new one from them. Keep looking untill you find someone who will help, and stick with them!!

Take care

Will

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: