changing fluids on my massey ferguson 35

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

changing fluids on my massey ferguson 35

jack I have just purchased a MF35 and want to change the fluids due to the color milky white due to moisture. I dont have a manual and I am not sure what fluids to put in the gear case. I assume 80/90 weight. I have drained about 10 gallons from the drain plug on the lower side of the engine and have noticed anothr drain plug further back is this for the hydrolic fluds or does every thing work from the fluids in the gear case. Does this tractor also have hydrolic fluid that should be changed? Any info on the fluids capacity etc would be appreciated.

Thanks, jack

TONY GARRETT JACK, BOTH PLUGS ARE FOR DRAINING THE FLUID.
it TAKES EIGHT GALLONS OF 90 WEIGHT GREASE. YOU MAY NEED TO CHANGE HYDRALIC FILTER, DEPENDING ON WHAT YEAR MODEL 35 YOU HAVE.

smokey1 The oil is used in the hydraulics - check and clean the filter. It is located behind the PTO lever plate. Get the correct oil. Don't use oil with super additives like friction modifiers. Get the oil recomended by your local supplier otherwise you may have problems with hydraulic valves etc.
Get-a-Manual Take some free advice. Don't try to work on your tractor without a complete repair manual. Your investment in the manual will be repaid many times over, by not improperly servicing and ruining the tractor.
Joe Goff Jack,
I have a Late 1962 MF35 Special gas tractor. My owners manual says: Transmission, differential & hydraulic system capacity is 8 U.S. gallons of straight mineral oil SAE 80. Drain when oil is warm and with both hydraulic lever in the down position by removing the two magnet drain plugs. It also says to clean the hydraulic pump filter screen located behind the PTO control lever. You should consult a manual before attempting this. If you can not find a manual e-mail me and I will send you the instructions. You really should try to find a manual.
Good Luck,
Joe

g.anderson I have the exact same problem as the poster, which is why I'm here. Money is a problem too.
I just spoke to a tractor service place in my town. he informs me the original 80wt mineral based gear oil is no longer available. He recommended AW32 oil which is is a 30wt oil! He specifically did not recommend what the massie dealer sells (hytran) too thin, too expensive.
So you cant go by the manual and two different sources disagree on what should be used. Anybody else care to venture an opinion? Anyone who has
the manual and would care to send the relevant section of the manual on servicing the hydraulic filter or anything else in that area would be greatly appreciated.
I am tempted to just try the aw32 and see what happens.

Anthony In answer to using the aw32 for your Massey. I don't know if you have a gas or diesel, but if you have a diesel you can go to any hardware store a buy the 5 gallon containers of the oil you need which goes in for the tranny and the hydraulics. It is heavier than the aw/30wt, and I wouldn't use it. I have the manual although it isn't a large one and this is the fluid I have used for years. I buy it from Bonds Auto and it has 75-405 on it and is recommended for many tractors. It cost about 45-60 per 5 gallons.
Gus Anthony,

Do you know the brand of oil you buy? We live in Tulsa and do not have a Bonds Auto?

Michael Dyer how do you check the fluid in the transmission .I have a MF 135.Thank you Mike
clint just picked up a MF and it will not move forward or backwards, checked the plug by the shift levers and case is low. this tractor has a shuttle valve for forward and reverse. what will be the oil level and what kind of oil?
billy hearn I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE FLUIDS IN TRANSMISSION AND DIFFERENTIAL.I HEARD THAT AFTER YOU DRAIN THE FLUID YOU SHOULD FLUSH WITH DIESEL FUEL.IS THIS OKAY TO DO? HOW DO YOU REMOVE HYDRAULIC FILTER AND CLEAN?

WHAT KIND OF FLUID DO YOU REPLACE WITH?

THANKS BILLY

Allen CAUTION: AW ratings are not the same as SAE ratings for viscosity indexes ! As an approximate rule AW100 is about SAE30 (30 weight), AW-46 is about SAE15(15 weight), and AW32 is about SAE10 (10 weight)... Old tractors use 90 weight gear oil in the differential in general,modern tractors with hydrostatic/automatic transmissions use the lighter oils.
Lisabeth Olson My husband just bought me a 175 MF. We have lost the power steering and want to know which fluid to use? We are in the middle of haying and have some of the manuals, but haven't found our answer yet. Thank you for the help.
james bain Need to change the oil in transmission. Do I use 80/90 oil? And how much? 8 Gals?
Kim W. Robertson Is the pto filter on 1955 ferguson 35 behind the lever plate thx kim
Bernie Turcovsky What is the engine crankcase capacity including the filter change on my 1955 TO 35 Massey Ferguson gas engine
J C In the process of changing transmission fluid in my old TO35 Ferguson,after reading lots of info on what to use I'm going with GL-1 SAE 90 wt mineral oil.I checked Napa's web site and couldn't find it but i went to my local napa store here in NC and they had it.bought two 5 gal buckets today.Thinking about flushing the tras. out with diesel fuel. Is this a good idea? should i pour a few gal. in there a let it set for few days..just wondering
John For fluids in my 55 Ferguson I used Trans hydraulic fluid as well. 32 litres. Gas engine.
Bill I have a MF 35 and I need to change the hydraulic oil. I have a few questions pertaining to this? First, do I remove both drain plugs when draining? Second, what type of oil do I need to replace the old with? Third, how difficult is it to check the filter and where is it located? Finally, my lift is slow to lift and drains down when I press the clutch but otherwise works great with light implements (any suggestions on that). Thanks, and I hope to hear from someone soon.
Larry I just bought a 1962 Massey Ferguson 205 Diesel Work Bull. Noticed the trans/differential oil is a little milky and want to change it. What type oil and how much does it take. Should I flush it with Diesel Fuel?
Larry

Gilles I just bought a Massey Ferguson 35 diesel what
type of hydraulic oil goes in the differential?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: