MF 1155 ---Are they any good

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF 1155 ---Are they any good

Hughie I`m looking at buying a 160 approx H.P. Tractor.
I`ve heard that the 1155 has a weak gearbox/clutch and Diff.i.e. they can`t handle 155 H.P.---is this true.What other major weak links do they have bearing in mind this is an old tractor.Other options for me are John Deere 4440/4450/4455,Ford TW 25,IH 5088,Case 7110.Any advice much appreciated.

Marti Sacks Hughie:
This is likely late; I just got internet and was looking at this web site. My son has an 1155 we bought as a basket case because a neighbor made a mistake reassembling the tractor halves after putting in a new clutch. Welded the pto spline connecter into the inside of the mainshaft. Long story short: There is just too much strength in the gears in the trans and rear for there to be an inherent problem as has become the rumor. The trans you want is the later "9B" series that has heavier parts in it. My son and I are convinced the problems come when an owner lets the trans oil level get too low. We noticed the final drive (bull and pinion) gear housings have the oil entrance hole for them up high enough that if the level gets too low, they will not get proper oil. There is only the top hole; no hole down lower. When the level gets too low, of course improper lubrication results. There is a way we saw to put pressure oil feeds to each final compartment, but decided against the idea because if the oil level is kept right, there is no problem. We have a neighbor who has had an 155 for probably 20 years. They would not trade it for anything else. We would not, either.
I get my web name from an 100 I have that we put a different engine in. It was a '69 with the Waukesha gas in it. The engine went bad, and that brand is very expensive to fix. We machined adapters to put a GMC V-6, 478 cu. in., into it. The original motor had around 90 horse; this one has 205. The tractor has the 9B trans in it. We have used it as any normal farm trqactor for both heavy and light work for over 12 years like this with no trans problems. We considered putting an 1155 final drive assembly on it to get the heavier gears, but so far no problem.
My son and I get tired of the impression Deere has of such a value. We think they are grossly overpriced. We will use our Masseys and let the other guys dump the higher price into tractors that will do no more than ours.
I would assume you have already bought a tractor, but I wanted to share our story anyway! Take care, and may the growing conditions favor you this year! Marti

Hughie Marti,Thanks for your comments and advice-Much appreciated.I agree with your comments on Deere.No I haven`t purchased yet.I think these MF`s represent good buying. Having always had MF`s ourselves (albiet smaller ones) i.e 35,135,165,188,265,& 390 we`ve found them to be extremely well built and reliable. One more question. How hard is that v8 perkins on fuel compared to a similar H.P. six cylinder.
Thanks Hughie.

Dan Sacks Hello, I am Marti's son who ownes the 1155 he was talking about. According to the nebraska tests the 540 perkins V-8 uses about 9 gal/hr at full load, I have turned my tractor up past 200 hp, at least thats where the dyno blew up! still hadn't pulled any rpm out of the motor there either. I have installed dual exaust and cannot figure out why anyone would go to the trouble to build a tractor with a V-8 just to put single exaust on it! I did this by taking the cast iron elbows off of the manifolds and swapping them side for side, that way they will lean out instead of in. Then I cut the flange and about 3" of pipe off the "Y" pipe to use to weld my 3" five foot long straight pipes to. Something that I learned is that where the pipes are braced to the hood (the holes and internal brace are already there!) the bracket MUST be made so the pipes can move up and down or under a hard pull the heat expansion will cause them to lift the hood! My tractor does very well on fuel at light loads such as mowing,finish disking, etc. and pulls the plow (5-16's in HARD clay at 5-7 mph) with no problems fuel wise. these motors came with two different injection pumps, a Minimec inline style, and a CAV V-8 style, of the two the later inline style is the better one and capable of more h.p. however niether is a bad pump and both will make more than enough hp. I am a Diesel mechanic and learned a few things while building and dynoing Diesels about what to do to my 1155. I increased the timing advance, turned up the fuel quite a bit, but, not to where it smokes overly-much, added the dual exaust, had the governor sensitivity set up higher (it "raps" pretty good if you let out on the clutch in neutral) and set the RPM up to 2800 where this motor in truck applications runs (at 180 hp incedentally), and will soon be building block hugger headers for it out of stainless steel. During the time that I worked at a large tractor salvage yard I never saw an "11" series massey with the 9B (these tractors have the "9B" in their serial number, I believe that all 1155's were 9B's) rearend tear up a tranny or any other driveline parts except due to neglect of the filters or oil level, especially if the level got low and the machine was plowing with a tire in the furrow, the final on the high side would run dry. These tractors are VERY particular about their rearend oil especially the cleanliness, this is due to the fact that they have a 5 micron filter in the system, so therefore even small dust grains will become trapped in the filter and it will become clogged faster than most, thus cutting off the lubrication, pressure, and cooling to the tranny esp. the "Multi-power" clutches. I have no fears what so ever of these tractors. I am reminded of the guy who several years back ran the M-F Express 1150 on the NTPA pulling circuit, he was making over 3000 hp with four turbos and custom aluminum heads on a 640 perkins (same basic block) and said that the rearend was totally stock except for the pin that the spider gears in the diff run on was made harder, and that the rear-end or motor hadn't been broken as long as he had been pulling the tractor which was for about 5 yrs! After I had gotten the tractor put together, Dad and I went to the field with the plow and before we got there I asked him why they put the V-8 in the 1155 as the 354 perkins six in the 1135 was only about 7 hp lower in stock form. We had plowed for a while when he shifted the tractor up to 3rd and in the toughest clay with the front end dancing off the ground shut the motor clear back to idle, while still turning those 23.1-34's and carring the front end, and let it pull there for a while and then shoved the throttle home spinning the tractor out and said "that's why they put the V-8 in it! no replacement for displacement!" amen! the "green" operating range on the 540 V-8 goes from 800 to 2500 rpm on the tach (1700 usefull rpm's) as opposed to 2000 rpm to about 2700 (700 usefull rpm's) for a smaller turbocharged six cylinder. Happy hunting! Dan Sacks
Dan Sacks Hello, I am Marti's son who ownes the 1155 he was talking about. According to the nebraska tests the 540 perkins V-8 uses about 9 gal/hr at full load, I have turned my tractor up past 200 hp, at least thats where the dyno blew up! still hadn't pulled any rpm out of the motor there either. I have installed dual exaust and cannot figure out why anyone would go to the trouble to build a tractor with a V-8 just to put single exaust on it! I did this by taking the cast iron elbows off of the manifolds and swapping them side for side, that way they will lean out instead of in. Then I cut the flange and about 3" of pipe off the "Y" pipe to use to weld my 3" five foot long straight pipes to. Something that I learned is that where the pipes are braced to the hood (the holes and internal brace are already there!) the bracket MUST be made so the pipes can move up and down or under a hard pull the heat expansion will cause them to lift the hood! My tractor does very well on fuel at light loads such as mowing,finish disking, etc. and pulls the plow (5-16's in HARD clay at 5-7 mph) with no problems fuel wise. these motors came with two different injection pumps, a Minimec inline style, and a CAV V-8 style, of the two the later inline style is the better one and capable of more h.p. however niether is a bad pump and both will make more than enough hp. I am a Diesel mechanic and learned a few things while building and dynoing Diesels about what to do to my 1155. I increased the timing advance, turned up the fuel quite a bit, but, not to where it smokes overly-much, added the dual exaust, had the governor sensitivity set up higher (it "raps" pretty good if you let out on the clutch in neutral) and set the RPM up to 2800 where this motor in truck applications runs (at 180 hp incedentally), and will soon be building block hugger headers for it out of stainless steel. During the time that I worked at a large tractor salvage yard I never saw an "11" series massey with the 9B (these tractors have the "9B" in their serial number, I believe that all 1155's were 9B's) rearend tear up a tranny or any other driveline parts except due to neglect of the filters or oil level, especially if the level got low and the machine was plowing with a tire in the furrow, the final on the high side would run dry. These tractors are VERY particular about their rearend oil especially the cleanliness, this is due to the fact that they have a 5 micron filter in the system, so therefore even small dust grains will become trapped in the filter and it will become clogged faster than most, thus cutting off the lubrication, pressure, and cooling to the tranny esp. the "Multi-power" clutches. I have no fears what so ever of these tractors. I am reminded of the guy who several years back ran the M-F Express 1150 on the NTPA pulling circuit, he was making over 3000 hp with four turbos and custom aluminum heads on a 640 perkins (same basic block) and said that the rearend was totally stock except for the pin that the spider gears in the diff run on was made harder, and that the rear-end or motor hadn't been broken as long as he had been pulling the tractor which was for about 5 yrs! After I had gotten the tractor put together, Dad and I went to the field with the plow and before we got there I asked him why they put the V-8 in the 1155 as the 354 perkins six in the 1135 was only about 7 hp lower in stock form. We had plowed for a while when he shifted the tractor up to 3rd and in the toughest clay with the front end dancing off the ground shut the motor clear back to idle, while still turning those 23.1-34's and carring the front end, and let it pull there for a while and then shoved the throttle home spinning the tractor out and said "that's why they put the V-8 in it! no replacement for displacement!" amen! the "green" operating range on the 540 V-8 goes from 800 to 2500 rpm on the tach (1700 usefull rpm's) as opposed to 2000 rpm to about 2700 (700 usefull rpm's) for a smaller turbocharged six cylinder. Happy hunting! Dan Sacks
Hughie Dan, Thank-you very much for that info. Much obliged
nate MF 1155 are a very solid machine. I have 3 of them and have had little trouble. All 3 are turning 200+ horsepower. I have one that I pull in the Hot Farm tractor classes this one has probably around 350 - 400 HP and I still take it to the field on occasion. It will turn 3500 RPM basically on stock settings. One of my other 1155 turns 2900 RPM everyday in the field. These are excellent tractors for the dollar compared to other brands.
Hughie Thanks Nate. Much appreciated.
jim Marty, you sound very knowledgable about the 1155. My lift works on heavy stuff only once in a while. For exaample, I lifted a heavy load the other day. It lifted it up to the top in about 3 seconds. I put it down, and tryed again and the best it could do was about 6 inches. Whats with that? Once it wouldn't evern do 6 inches. Could you please give me some direction. It has done this for years. I have replaced filters, and screens, ; Im wondering if the cylinders themselves may be in need of a kit.
Please respond. Thanks, Jim.

jim Thanks for the response Dan, I also failed to mention that the other controls on the 3 point do not work...the speed, draft etc... this may be helpful to you. Thanks. feel free to email at jmk@rural-com.com I am so glad I found this site. jim
jim Thanks for the response Dan, I also failed to mention that the other controls on the 3 point do not work...the speed, draft etc... this may be helpful to you. Thanks. feel free to email at jmk@rural-com.com I am so glad I found this site. jim
LIAM 1155s are a very sound machine.I have one in every day use.I would like information on main clutch disc and pressure plate also main hyd pump.
Any information much appreciated

djh We have three on our grain farm. They are very reliable but I have one that I cannot get the multi-power and power steering to work correctly. For several years I had a glitch that the multipower was alays in low if the PTO was off, and the brakes would not work if the PTO was on. I have rebuilt the rear pump, changed the priority valve and the steering valve and nothing helped.
Any ideas?

Brett McCutcheon Great info on MF1155. My family has farmed with Massey Fergusons for four generations starting with the first Ferguson 30 to be sold in our county delivered by railroad car.

My dad and brother currently have 2-1135's. 180, 699, & 275. They have also had a 175, 1130, 65, and 30. The only recurring problem they ever had was with the final drive in the 1130. You posting has shed light on what the problem may have been.

I currently follow the progress of MF tractor pullers. Today their is a 2805 640cu in. perkins doing well in Northeast Ohio (OTPA) and one in the Carolina's (UTPC).

I am trying to find out more information on a gentleman that pulled a 2805 in the 80's named Don Berry. I believe he was out of Misourri. Can you help me?

Brett McCutcheon Great info on MF1155. My family has farmed with Massey Fergusons for four generations starting with the first Ferguson 30 to be sold in our county delivered by railroad car.

My dad and brother currently have 2-1135's. 180, 699, & 275. They have also had a 175, 1130, 65, and 30. The only recurring problem they ever had was with the final drive in the 1130. Your posting has shed light on what the problem may have been.

I currently follow the progress of MF tractor pullers. Today their is a 2805 640cu in. perkins doing well in Northeast Ohio (OTPA) and one in the Carolina's (UPOC).

I am trying to find out more information on a gentleman that pulled a 2805 in the 80's named Don Berry. I believe he was out of Misourri. Can you help me?

kirk c, Hi Guy,s,
I love the writups on your massey,s,
they are a stud tractor for sure,
I drove a 2775 this morning at a dealer, I loved it except that the steering was out of it, and the,3 point woudnt work,
It took all I had to turn the wheel,
So I didnt drive it too far,
could this be the steering pump, or just that the filters are clogged?
The steering did pulsate,and turn if I gave it throttle, but otherwise it took all i had to turn it either way,felt like the power was off!
Oh, and the salesman was a little rude to me,
When i came back from driving it,I saw him standing there on the side of me,
And he said pull it around here straight,so that he wouldnt have to do it,even after I told him with the door open that I couldnt steer it, Kind of a jerk if you
ask me!
You dont treat customer,s like that, I dont care who they are,That was a bunch of bullcrap period!
And they will lose a customer, but they really dont care when it comes right down to it evedently.
Anyway , I hope that I run into some decent
sales people that I can talk to in the future.

Marz Farm Looking at a MF 1155 with some white smoke and blow by coming out. Some gunk by the first cylinder. Shifted hard. Any advice? How are brakes in general- we have a hill farm. Why does MF has smaller 3 pt hitch arms for such big tractors? Anyone have problems bending these?
ronan walsh Over here in Ireland Massey ferguson tractors over 100hp were are rarity in the 70s, my father being a bit more progressive than most at time invested in a new MF1135 in September 73 the first one in Ireland, it was so much bigger than the rest guys came from all around to see it at work!He purchased 6 furrow fiskars plough, omme disk harrow, and 2 row armer salmon beet harvester to keep it busy.I grew up with this tractor and i can say that it was a fantastic machine having clocked up 9700 trouble free hours (except pto clutch discs) due to heavy pto usage. It was way ahead of its time and in my view better than its equal john deere model.Sadly our tractor was destroyed in a barn fire along with a Fendt 716 and a John Deere 6910,,, we cried at the loss of the 1135! I hope one day to import one from the US in honour of my late father who spent many a long day at the wheel of our Massey. Cant rate them highly enough Ronan Walsh
Mooncoin
County Kilkenny
Ireland

Fritz Pigors I own a MF 1155 with a 534 V8. I can't get the engine temperature up. I have put in 195 degrees thermostats and covered the entire surface on the front of the radiator. This barely makes the temperature gauge come up at all. Anybody have any idea on what I need to do so I don't always have to freeze to death while snowblowing?! Thanks for any input
Jesse sheridan Hello just bought myself an 1155 for a pulling tractor for the local fairs. Just wondering has anyone tried putting a turbo on these and how to go about doing it. I would like to get it up to 250 hp like some of these other ones. Thanks
DeWayne Hi, I just purchased a 1155 at an auction. It seemed like ok, with just the normal leaks. I did not notice the tree point hitch would not go down. The local dealer took the hyd. lines off and forced them down freeing the cylinders. But, after hooking the cylinders back the hitch went back up and stayed up. Do you have any Idea what the problem might be? Please respond, Thanks

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: