SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

massey ferguson 188 multipower

Donal Dennehy My name is Donal Dennehy from county cork, Ireland.
I noticed on a website that you answer questions relating to Massey Ferguson tractors. Here is my query:
I have a Massey Ferguson 188 tractor with multi power and also has IPTO. It had big gearbox problems a couple of years ago. Multi power got stuck in the high position, it was drawing silage at the time and did big damage, it locked up solid. Eventually it broke gears in the box. I stripped down the gearbox and replaced what was damaged and replaced the plates in the clutch pack, I also replaced the multi power pump. There was a very hard driver driving it at the time and kept it in high and I think the plates welded together in the cluth pack that kept the multi power on. Would this be possible??

I have it back together now for a few years. It draws silage pulling a 14 by 8 trailer. It has a slight problem getting into high ratio when under load- it starts slipping and jerking. When its engaged on level ground, not under load it has no problems. If you hit a hill in high ratio it doesnt slip or jerk. The ony time it has problems is when I first try to get it into high ratio under load. Hot or cold doesnt make a difference.

It leaked oil in the bell housing after doing the gearbox. I opened it and replaced the seals. I noticed when I was putting it together when centering the clutch that the PTO plate was loose when pressure plate was tightened up. Should it be tight? Would this cause my problem if it was slipping? Does it drive the multi power pump? If I was using the PTO topping or at slurry, the mutipower doesnt work when PTO is engaged? Could they be seperate problems do you think? The PTO pack was done about 10 years ago. It was going fine until I had gearbox problems. I changed the multi power filter near the oil cooler and that made no difference.

Could you shine any lght on my problem above?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: