SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Massey Ferguson 285 General Info

Dan Zawalsky Hello; I'm looking at buying a 79 Massey 285 for our shop to do snow removal(we get a fair bit). I'm looking for any general info on what to look out for; a friend works at a dealer who has it in on trade; it looks fairly clean and straight; I'm a mechanic and am above average on the mechanical side of things, but like I say, tractors are new to me. This one has 2600 original hours, is diesel, has a new clutch (in 2006) and multi-power (ok, what is a multi power?) 16 speed hi-lo trans, two speed PTO, cab etc... I was planning on putting a single or dual auger 8' blower on the back. Am I using the wrong tool for the job? Any things these tractors are bad for? (I know certain cars sure have their flaws, lol) Thanks for any info.
Ellis-VA I have a 79 MF 285 and the pto brake has been rebuild 3 times. I was told it was because I pull a 10' Woods bushhog. What does it take for a snow blower? You might be overloading it also

Len See http://vintagetractorengineer.com/2009/01/how-does-massey-ferguson-multi-power-work/

Len Sure, the PTO brake wore out trying to STOP your 10' bush hog, not from pulling it. Put a overrunning clutch on the PTO and the brake will last.

I have a 255 and the brake rarely works, the only issue is to stop the engine before connecting the PTO line, which is safer anyway. My 7' hog will stop eventually, like on tractors w/o a PTO brake. The only problem is when nothing is connected or the implement is very small, like a seeder.

Ellis-VA
I have slip clutch on mower and over ride coupler too. Also have the upgrade rebuilt on pto clutch. The dealer says I'm going to have to go to smaller mower

jim does anyone know if and where I can get a rebuild and parts cd for a mf 65

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: