SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

PTO Grinding

Henry Beasley I'm new to owning a tractor, but in reading the post here I've seen several discussions on the pto grinding when trying to engage it. I have a 1973 massey ferguson 135 gas, and it seems that when I purchased the tractor, without the rotary mower on the pto, it went into gear without the noise, but lately the grinding seem to get worse and now the gears have started to not mesh smoothly. Any ideas would be helpful
GEEBEE I would start by checking the adjustments on the clutch pedal, if that is OK it's likely the PTO clutch needs adjusting. It also helps if you throttle right down before trying to engage it. If ya need more info let us know.
Big Dean
Re: PTO Grinding

This picture shows how to adjust both the main and the internal PTO clutch I think that is what you need to do.

GEEBEE Hi Big Dean, great to see ya back on the forum,
hope your feeling much better.

Henry Beasley Big Dean Thanks to both of you for your help. I adjusted the main clutch and now when the clutch is fully depressed the rotary mower drops (no hyd. pump)just like the owners manual says. Still have grinding when engaging the pto, but not as bad, sorry but the picture did not help can't read the text. Also, I have a owners manual and the workshop manual and neither one of these show this picture and text. Where might I be able to purchase these at. Thanks Again, Henry
versatile This tip won't help reading the fine print on this one. Hold down the contol key and then keep hitting the plus sign and it will increase the type size. Worksa in reverse as well.
ernest edward holloway I have the same problem of not being able to engage pto. I have taken off the bottom plate and find that the pto clutch has a rather large clearance. Does anyone know the correct clearance for internal adjustments on both clutches and is there a sequence for adjusting them?
Garry Ward I have a 175 also could you send me info on how to ajust pto .When I depress the clutch and try to put pto in gear in grinds

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: