Craftsman LT1000 slipping Transaxle

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Craftsman LT1000 slipping Transaxle

Cliff I have a Craftsman LT1000 2 years old. The transaxle seems like it is slipping. I have checked the belts and they are clean and routed properly. Any suggestion?
Doc I take it this unit has a hydrostatic transaxle. The belts may actually be slipping. You need to observe the belts when the slipping occurs. The belts can look perfectly fine and still slip. This is a common problem with hydrostatic transaxles. Observe the belt while someone attempts to climb the hill or try using a mirror to see it.

Good luck,
Doc

Cliff I have checked the belt and it is not slipping. The rear end is now locked up. When in neutral the wheels will not turn. When in gear it will not move. You can see the belt beginning to smoke as the engine pulley is moving but the belt is not. The rear pulley does not turn.
Cliff I have checked the belt and it is not slipping. The rear end is now locked up. When in neutral the wheels will not turn. When in gear it will not move. You can see the belt beginning to smoke as the engine pulley is moving but the belt is not. The rear pulley does not turn.

Ed I'm not familiar with the LT1000, but I have an 8 year old Model made by MTD that had the same symptoms (smoke and everything). It uses 2 drive belts with a variable speed pulley (vsp) to drive the transaxle. I couldn't turn anything when in gear, but the tractor rolled fine in neutral. I took pressure off the rear tensioner and then tried to turn the outer pulleys of the vsp. It has needle bearings that went bad. Replaced it and all is well again. Good luck.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: