lawn tractor running rough

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

lawn tractor running rough

glenn As I was mowing yesterday, my 15 hp Briggs Weedeater riding mower started running rough, backfiring and popping as if the choke was fully engaged. It would stay running only if the blade was engaged, and would sputter and die if un engaged. The thing has been running perfectly until this. Any ideas of what to look for?
bontai Joe If it is running better under load (with blades engaged) than no load, then I suspect your engine is running rich (too much fuel). The load of running the mower deck requires more fuel which is why it runs better. I'd check the carb for dirt causing the innards to allow too much fuel to pass by. I'd also check to see if there is some crud/leaves/junk in the outside carb linkage. If the carb is clean, inside and out, and still running rich, then adjust the high speed screw to lean out the mix a little (that's if your carb has adjustment screws and isn't one of the new "sealed" units).
glenn Just a follow up to this original post. Got the mower back from the repair shop yesterday. They replaced an exhaust valve spring and adjusted the carburator. Total damage:$165.00
glenn PS. The mower runs great too.
bontai Joe Thank you very much for letting me know what they found. Not even close to my guess, was it? Goes to show long distance diagnosis without seeing or hearing the tractor in question is mostly an educated guess. I'm sorry to hear how expensive it was to fix, but glad to hear you are running good now. Happy tractoring!
glenn Thank's for trying and replying. After reading this forum, I have found your response's to be most helpful and informative over all.

Can you tell me what an exhaust valve spring does, and what or how it would break after only 6 months(it is new) of use? The people that fixed it did not want to take the time to explain the nature of the breakdown, and I am curious to hear what you think it could of been?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: