advice on tractor for mowing/snow plowing.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

advice on tractor for mowing/snow plowing.

Turbo hi guys,

i have been reading through the boards for a few days trying to make a decision on a tractor. this is my first and i figured it would be a better idea to ask some of the more experienced people what they think.

this tractor will be used to cut my roughly 2/3-3/4 acre lawn and to push snow in the winter time. the entire yard is relatively smooth, but the front yard sits at about 20-degree incline. (note that this is not measure exactly, but a pretty close estimate. the driveway sits at roughly the same angle.

i was recently in sears and was looking hard at the LT1000. 18hp B&S Intek...manual trans...Mdl # 27339. i like what i see, but after reading on here more and more, im thinking that i might want something a little heavier duty. i would certainly like to keep the price tag under $1500, but if need be, i can spend a bit extra for something that can better handle the job. any and all reccomendations are are well-appreciated. thanks in advance.

enginerd That slope will be hard on your engine since the splash lube system will inadequately lubricate everything at that angle. So, get something with a pressurized lube system - like the LT1000 with the B&S V-Twin Intek ($1350 manual, $1550 hydro), LT2000 with the Kohler Pro ($1400 hydro only), or LT2000 with the B&S V-Twin Intek ($1299 manual, $1500 hydro). Also, the 20" tires on those models will be a lot better on your steep hill.

Not sure about pushing snow. If your driveway is only 20' long, you might be okay with a lawn tractor and a blade (wheel weights and chains required for the trip up). But, if it's 100' long with no place to intermediately dump snow, you probably won't be able to get any lawn tractor to do it. You can get a snow thrower for most of the sears machines, but they are over $1000 and you have to take off the cutting deck to install it. In my opinion, not worth the money or the trouble. So, if your snow demands are great, I'd suggest forgetting about using your tractor and just get a nice snow-blower ($500 - $1000).

Concerning the hydro vs. manual - the hydro is far and away easier to use when cutting your grass. I've used both and will never go back to a manual transmission. I'm constantly adjusting my speed and direction and the hydro is just the way to go. But, people say that the hydrostatic transmission does take more power than the manual (but that's why machines are coming with 18+ HP instead of 13 HP like 10 years ago, right?).

bontai Joe enginerd pretty much answered your question, I just wanted to second the opinion.
Jim_WV I will have to 3rd. that opinion also :).

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: