Craftsman DGT 6000

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Craftsman DGT 6000

Paul I am thinking of buying a Craftsman DGT 6000 and would like to learn more about it. At least more than what the salesman could tell me. We just bought 5.7 acres, of which roughly 2.5 is wooded and tall grass. I had originally considered buying an 8n & brush hog totake care of the whole area, but have decided that leaving the 2.5 natural, with only light ground cleanup would be better, and take care of the remainder with a large garden tractor. Which leads me to the DGT 6000. On the surface, with its 27hp Kohler Pro Twin, 54" cut, cast iron front axle and available attachments, it sounds like a winner, but i'd like to hear from some owners and mechanics out there before I buy. Especially concerning the Hydro/Auto transmission vs manual....Any good?
Glenn LaVigne I just got my DGT 6000 with the 25 Kohler Pro, only done 2-3 hours work with it, my only concerns are, after a couple of short runs on restart, no choke or anything it blew so much smoke i couldn't believe it, it has done it a couple of times, if any of you know if this is a break in thing or not let me know, the other concern is that the deck seems to ride low in the full up position, i have to go through the manual and see if the guys at sears who do the final assembly prior to delivery did it right or not, it cuts great, a little more left to right floating might be nice.
Kevin Kuster I bought a DGT 6000 last fall and have 36 hours on it now. So far the 27hp Kohler and the Hydro have run perfect but the 54 deck was a very poor and unsafe design. I have a 7 acre farmette; I mow it once a week and usually have to unclog it and clean the deck twice to get through it. I am looking for a better set of blades now that I can weld pitch extensions on to hopefully solve this. I had an 18hp Craftsman before this one, welded pitch extensions ( x x 2 1/4) on the blades and it never clogged again nor did it have to be cleaned as the underside of the deck was always silver, even mowing wet grass.
As for the unsafe issue; if you raise the plastic chute you will see that the blade area is exposed, if you where to hit a rut or unexpected uneven terrain throwing you off balance and you found your right foot and weight on this chute you might be looking for someone to buy that extra shoe when you purchase your next pair. After looking at this I plan on retrofitting a piece of sheet metal over this welding it in place to fix this problem as well.
***Overall the DGT 6000 is a great deal if you own a welder...***

Kevin Kuster I bought a DGT 6000 last fall and have 36 hours on it now. So far the 27hp Kohler and the Hydro have run perfect but the 54 deck was a very poor and unsafe design. I have a 7 acre farmette; I mow it once a week and usually have to unclog it and clean the deck twice to get through it. I am looking for a better set of blades now that I can weld pitch extensions on to hopefully solve this. I had an 18hp Craftsman before this one, welded pitch extensions ( x x 2 1/4) on the blades and it never clogged again nor did it have to be cleaned as the underside of the deck was always silver, even mowing wet grass.
As for the unsafe issue; if you raise the plastic chute you will see that the blade area is exposed, if you were to hit a rut or unexpected uneven terrain throwing you off balance and you found your right foot and weight on this chute you might be looking for someone to buy that extra shoe when you purchase your next pair. After looking at this I plan on retrofitting a piece of sheet metal over this welding it in place to fix this problem as well.
***Overall the DGT 6000 is a great deal if you own a welder...***

jack I have dgt 6000. I have had it now for almost 2 years. I have 3 acres to mow. The problem is early V belt replacement at $60 times 3. After this last V belt I have found what I believe to be a design flaw. This flaw causes early v belt failure. The steering rod attached to the axle turns and rubs the V belt. This appears as a shiney spot. Also there is rod that is at outside about 45 degrees between belts. If it is not at this angle a shiny spot will be seen. I have a work around on both of these issues. I can send any one by email if you like with a picture. Thanks,
Jack

RAY SISEMORE I PURCHASED A USED (6O HRS) DGT6000 ALMOST TWO YEARS AGO AND OWN 9.24 ACRES OF ROCKY, SOME WHAT HILLY GROUND. I HAVE REPLACED NUMEROUS BLADES AND MY FIRST BELT. I'VE WELDED PARTS AND REPLACED 3 SPINDLES AS WELL. I PUT THIS TRACTOR THROUGH HELL AND BESIDES MY TIME MAINTAINING AND BUYING REPLACEMENT PARTS IT IS A GREAT TRACTOR.
MY QUESTION IS THE TRACTOR HYDRO TRANSMISSION HAS STARTED TO SLIP. AT COLD START-UP IT RUNS PRETTY WELL BUT AFTER 15 MINUTES OF MOWING IT STOPS. I DID NOT RECEIVE A OWNERS MANUAL AND JUST PURCHASED ONE BUT CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE MAINTAINENCE FOR THE TRANNY?

ray lewis To Kevin Kuster.You mention welding "pitch extensions(1/4x1/2x21/4)"on the blades and the deck never clogs and the under deck never needs cleaning.Could you please give me more info on what exactly do you mean? Can anyone else help? Thank you. Ray Lewis
Jeff S I also have a DGT 6000 and have the problem of white billowing smoke. It usually happens when the mower blades are turning so I'm assuming that putting a load on the engine is part of this. I'm assuming that it's oil leaking into the cylinder. Why? Do I need to replace a gasket? Piston ring? What's going on?
John r We bought our DGT 6000 about 4 years ago before they switched to the 54" deck. Ours has the 48" deck. We mow about 3 acres. Initially we had so much trouble with belts blowing out. I had service out several times (under warranty) until they fixed the problem. For the first year there were times where we replaced belts everytime we mowed. Once the problem was corrected we haven't had any belt trouble. I put on the non-mulching blades and in the taller grass we raise up the discharge chute by holding it up with a bungee cord so grass does not get caught. The blue smoke still happens every so often especially if it sits for a while on a slope. It hasn't caused any problems. It has about 250 hours on it (I think) we put between 4 and 6 hours a week on it. We have quite a few trees to mow around. All in all I guess it has been a pretty reliable mower and relatively inexpensive. We are pretty hard on it, driving fairly fast to get done with the mowing. Considering all this I give it pretty good marks. However If you would have asked me in the first year, I would not have spoken very highly of it. Also I have heard bad things about the 54" deck.
Jason I've owned my DGT 6000 for about 2.5 years now. It has only 45 hours on it. I mow approximately 2.5 acres of hilly terrain and have used it to haul heavy rocks with a trailer. I've had one deck replaced after it sheared and bent (hit a buried piece of concrete that was left after our water line was replace). The transmission was just replaced as it had been slipping for a while and finally went out. It's a maintenance free transmission, so other than using the purge procedure in the manual, there's nothing else to do. I have also had a spindle break. I no longer ride the tractor as carefree and rough as I used to. Overall, I am satisfied, but feel this tractor is better suited for flat land.
jack bradley the dgt 6000 is one of the best tractors that I ever owned I cut 6.5 acres weekly had trouble with it smoking sears sent repair tech he replaced head bolts with smaller shank and head gasket never smoked or burned oil again also replaced spindles with heavier units bought on enternet ebay from siellows (ebay name )also bought heavier blades absolutely no more problems runs great cheap on gas ; I believe that this unit is manufactured by husqvarna for sears their newer units look like junk to me very light frame and less hp.
DENNIS G I have had my DGT6000 for about 3yrs now, had a tranny replaced (under warranty)reverse was failing,deck conversion support kit(the brackets would bend easily). The main gripe I would have would have to be the deck. Needs to be redesigned. The deck "grass clipping exhaust" should be squared and not made to see the blade when you opent the flap and look down, also it would create less resistance while mowing lightly damp grass in mornings, to shoot the grass straight out, not up and out. Next the placement of the deck wheels. My wife seams to find every item in the yard and hits the left wheel until the mounting bolt snaps. The right turn radious I believe has been improved w/the newer models. All in all, this craftsman has got the job done well. And no I would not buy one of those JD's that are for sale at the box stores (I work for the team 48 store) You cannot beat a Kohler. For those earlier comments about white smoke blowing, you need your RPM's checked out by a Sears tech, I had a 5000GT, Briggs motor,mowed great until I had changed blades twice in 6months, started blowing smoke,he checked it, stated the motor was set 1,000rpms too high,it was under warranty and ordered new motor. HOPE ALL INFO HELPS SOMEONE
ivan I have a dgt 6000 and it seems like its making the battery go dead can anyone help me?
Jeff T I have a DGT6000 and have been quite happy with it's basic functions for over 3 years and almost 200 hours. I use it for cutting 4 acres of rough, country property and snowblowing 100 yards of double lane driveway all winter (in Canada). The three complaints I had with the unit, were that the mower deck did not raise high enough to avoid scalping rocks, the tires had limited traction on mildly wet grass and the damned engine cut out switch under the seat would kill the engine when I shift my weight while trying to cut along the side grade of of my ditch.
I have found solutions to all of these issues, but if you choose to repeat them, do so at your own risk, since some of these involve tampering with safety features and not following directions given in the owners manual.
The traction and cutting height problems were addressed with new, larger tires. 25.0 x 10.0 -12's for ATV use with an aggressive chevron type tread and 18 x 6.5 -8's on the front. this raised the whole tractor 1 inch and no more spinning on wet grass or uphill sections. The seat switch was defeated by removing the spacers from under the switch mounting plate and then tightening the plate all the way down on the 1/4 inch studs that come out of the bottom of the seat. Take extreme caution if you make this modification!!! It is possible to get off the tractor with the mower engaged (spinning blades) and move the tractor under it's own power. For example: Walking beside it or pushing it if stuck!! Just make sure you shut off the PTO when you get off!!
I hope this helps someone else out. I have found it greatly helps my cutting duties.

Jaye I am looking for a snow blower attachment for my DGT 6000. any ideas where i can find one?
Elvin Hupper I have had the DGT6000 since 2004 with a 54 inch deck. It has about 355 hours now and has never had to have a belt or spindle replacement mostly due to constant maintenance and also try to avoid mowing big rocks....I have replaced the steering drag link once ...that could use grease fittings in the ball joints, i do try to keep this one lubricated .. About 300 hours it blew a head gasket...... I found alot of information on line about others having trouble with the 27 hp engine ...replaced both sides (gaskets and head bolts).......Its working fine again.....
I use this tractor year around .....mowing ...snowblowing.....hauling firewood on an 8 ft trailor....and also using to haul my lobster traps 800 of them to the wharf......its really a work horse and im very satisfied .....
Also a vertical shaft horizontal cylinder engine like that is noted for smoking one reason is because the bottom wall of the cylinder is close the the oil level in the crankcase and if the tractor is inclined ( headed down hill).. it can alow extra oil to seap into the cylinder wall below the piston .....which does cause it to smoke for a time....... this is common for this type of engine... just keep chekcing your oil see if you are loosing an abnormal amount.... A good idea is daily......
Also for extra traction i run rear wheel weights year around 110 pounds and chains in the early spring when hauling wood.....very seldom have a problem but when i did get is stuck .... had to use allis chalmers to haul it out hahahahha........
Hope this will help someone happy mowing......

Brian Hey Guys! I have a Dgt 6000 Tractor I bought back in 2006. I think I should have left it alone. The mower only has 31 hours on the 26 hp Kohler cv730 engine. So far I have had to replace the head gaskets do to the excessive smoking. It had 25 hours on the meter. Now that it has 31 hours on it, I am replacing the camshaft due to bad set of lifters. The exhaust lobe on cylinder 2 is flat as a pancake. It no longer work the exhaust valve. I also had carb problems due to the gum chemical thats in the plastic gas tank walls. I have seen other craftsmans models with this gum from the tanks. Its not from the gasoline, but from the plastic tanks. As soon as I replace this camshaft and lifters. This mower will be going up forsale. I am very disappointed In Kohler and Craftsman. I have another 42 in craftsman mower with a briggs and stranton, but this will be my last Craftsman I will buy. I hope this will help someone in the near future.
Michael Hi! I need to replace a part, but I can't seem to find it in the manual (must be overlooking it). If you are sitting behind the steering wheel (it has a 54 inch deck and a 27 horse power) with the hood raised their is a black cylinder-like object that sit to the right of the air-filter compartment. It has something to do with oil because it seems to leak from this area. It also has been blowing black smoke. The cylinder-like object appears to have a hose that goes into the air-filter compartment as well.
billy g I just bought this mower used. It has been maintained fairly well.The body is in excelent shape not even 1 scratch. This one has the 48" deck. Not sure what year it is but it only has 280 hours on it. I paid 600$ for it i think that was pretty cheep. But i cant find what they go for new. I had to drain all the old gas out and fix a rear flat tire(slime). I mowed with it for about 6 hours today and dident have a single problem. Did i get a good deal? What mite this mower be worth.
ed albright I just bought a used GDT 6000 with 330 hours. When it gets hot the transmission growls and quits. anyone else have this problem and how do I fix it.
Mario C. I Have a Craftamn DGT-6000 27 HP engine. It had been great for me. I have had it for 4 years and the only thing that I;ve done to it is change tires and a now battery about a year age. I see that some people are complaining about the way that there tracktor has been for them, but I guess I was one of the most fortunate ones couse mine turned out to be GREAT!!!!! ......So now I think that I want to sell it and get a now one but I don't know how much to sell it for?????
Tuna I purchased a DGT 6000 7 years ago and currently have 1705 hours on the clock. I mow 5 acres and cultivate 1 mile of tree line. I pull a 4 foot cultivator to maintain the tree line. I have never had a problem with the Kohler or the transmission. However, the mower deck has been a major problem. I've replaced nearly every part on the deck at least once. Belts are also a major expense, however I found that the John Deere dealer has replacements much cheaper than Sears. I've replaced the stock tires with ATV wheels and tires. Do not purchase this machine unless you have a very good welder. You will need it. Sears has been no help. If you buy this tractor, you are on your own.
David E I am having trouble with the motor (27hp kohler) blowing white smoke at start up and using lots of oil. I have heard that this could be head gaskets and bolts and also rings? Can anyone help with this matter.
Jim I purchesed my DGT 6000 about four years ago. I have about 40 hours on it. I mow 3 acres of grass. The machine has not been put under severe ussage. So far it has served me well and no problems. It is a huskarvana machine manufactured for Sears. The cost new from Sears was 3500.00 I have done the normal maintenance just like any other machine. It has been kept in a heated garage. I do not leave gas in the unit during off seasons and do run it out of gas. I have installed a gas cut off valve in the line and do shut it off when not in use during the cutting season. It has brrn a very good machine.
les What kind of value for a '98 dgt 6000? It has been totally rebuitl.
John Bought my DGT 6000 used from an older gentleman. It ran like a washer full of marbles, but I loved the size, the 27 HP KOHLER Engine. Reset the valve clearances, change a couple hoses, filters, tore rear end apart, checked cleaned, new belts, and this baby will run a long time. I want something I can tear apart easily, and quickly,m and this fills the bill. I run and misuse my tractors for all kinds of jobs, and SEARS tractors just keep on ticking. Compare prices, say John Deere, I'll keep the difference in my pocket. 27 HP runs strong, does puff a tad on occassion, but I keep it cleaned, serviced, best oil I can buy, and it's a great machine for the price. All parts are just a heartbeat away, on line. I usually customize mine a little, and I'm sure this one won't be any different. This spring, quick jump on the battery, purrs like a kitten. I have a smaller old model Sears I pulled my Dodge 4X4 to my shop, when it stopped running by my home, burned the belt off, but I got it done.
Jack Have had mine for 12 yrs replace blades one a year due to sandy land Run good 600 hrs deck wheel have been replaced due to wear this has been a great mower keep ever thing greased and clean it will last

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: