I AM LOOKING AT A WHEEL HORSE 250 AND WHAT TO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!!

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

I AM LOOKING AT A WHEEL HORSE 250 AND WHAT TO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!!

joel my nieghbor has a wheel horse d 250 for sale and he wants 400 for it. it has brand new back tires and tubes and he says it will run. it has a four cylinder denault egine in it and pto front and back with a cat 1 3 pt hith i think. he says it is very powerful and strong and awsome and i was woundering if i could get any info on it. anything would be apretiacted. like if it is gas or diesel or 4 wheel drive or not. i didnt have time to really look at it so i dont know much about it. or how much horse power it has and torque and what kind of attachments it can have on it. any help is appriecated
thanks
joel

bontai Joe Go to www.google.com and do a search for Wheelhorse D 250 tractor and you will get a lot of info on where to get parts and attachments. $400 sounds like a great price if it runs and everything works.
joel i was wondering like horse power and drive also. and so is it really a d250 he told me it was a 250 and when i seacrch i got alot of things for d250 and i though it was it.
thanks

bontai Joe While searching yesterday, I found a picture and a little info, but can't find it today. What I remember is it has a Renault 4 cylinder engine and was larger than the typical garden tractor. Your best bet for accurate info is one of the online wheelhorse clubs where collectors and owners can help you out. I am afraid my specialty is older John Deeres. I based my statement on the $400 being a good value as the tractor is large enough to operate a front loader and serious ground engaging attachments.
joel where do you think i could get an old junky john deere. i like to work on things so i want somehting that is going to be a challenge. i also dont want to spend alot of money. i wanted a really old one though. i have seen some picture of old ones and they are awsome looking. do you have any behind a barn or anyhting with weeds growing around it that is really old. thanks
corey jacobs We had purchased a wheel horse D-250 about a month ago and got all of the attachments. The horsepower is about 30 horses. The driving on it is great. I know this becouse my grandfather and i are collectors. I am only 14 years old. We own about 32 tractors.

Dale The Wheel Horse D-250 actually has a horsepower rating of 19.9. The three point hitch a catagory 0, was an option.

It was the only 4-cylinder, water cooled Wheel Horse made. It is sized more like today's compact tractors, weighing in at 1169 pounds.

The rest of the D-Series ranged from 16-20 horsepower with either a single or twin cylinder air cooled engines. Some were Kohlers, others had an Onan in them.

Marvin McConoughey I bought a Wheel Horse D250 new in the early 1980's and owned it for several years. The Renault engine is a slow speed (3000 RPM) version of their smallest car engine at that time. It is an excellent engine when used in the D250. As a much higher speed car engine it had marginal reliability. The engine is probably underrated for horsepower. Mine was very smooth and quiet.

The transmission is Ok but is very complicated. It is bolted directly to the rear axle. I had some problems with the rear axle and with the pivoting front axle shaft through which the power drive from the engine goes.

As I recall, the actual tractor, minus the French engine, was made in West Germany.

Overall, I liked the tractor but found it a bit awkward to operate due to the manual transmission. I moved on to hydrostatic tractors and never regretted the move.

rick LOOKING FOR PARTS TO REPAIR STEERING BOX ON D-250 HAS WORN-OUT BEARINGS AND RACES INSIDE STEERING BOX. CANT FIND ANY PARTS TO REPAIR
Chris Hi,if anyone knows of a Wheel Horse D200 or D250 for sale, please contact me. Thanks.......Chris
Rod DeRoo I have a D250 w/h with 210 hours on it. Thay made a diesel and 4x4 in the uk but did not come to the us. I have over 40 w/h and iam 29yr. I love the red w/h.
Tim Shue V.P. of WHCC I have a very early 1976 d-250.The tractor was designed in the USA assembled in Belgium.The rearend is German.The motor is French.The steering and electical is Italian.I am in the middle of rebuiding the steering box and I am having a hard time getting bearings.The company that made those type is out of business.I am looking into machining the shaft to make newer bearings work.I is a good tractor.Made a head of its time.Wheel Horse makes no parts.
Tim Shue V.P. of WHCC Napa is a good place to get parts for the motor. Other companies like BobCat,forklift companies used that same motor.I am interested in knowing if any one else as one with rear fenders made of metal.Mine is one of the first to be made with them.I also have aearly 1955 RJ-35 with the gas tank stand.I hope to have it at this years Wheel Horse show in June.I collect D series and round hoods.
Tim Shue V.P. of WHCC Napa is a good place to get parts for the motor. Other companies like BobCat,forklift companies used that same motor.I am interested in knowing if any one else as one with rear fenders made of metal.Mine is one of the first to be made with them.I also have aearly 1955 RJ-35 with the gas tank stand.I hope to have it at this years Wheel Horse show in June.I collect D series and round hoods.Thanx Tim
Tim Shue V.P. of WHCC Napa is a good place to get parts for the motor. Other companies like BobCat,forklift companies used that same motor.I am interested in knowing if any one else as one with rear fenders made of metal.Mine is one of the first to be made with them.I also have aearly 1955 RJ-35 with the gas tank stand.I hope to have it at this years Wheel Horse show in June.I collect D series and round hoods.Any questions email me.Thanx Tim
John Hander Hi, I am trying to decide wether or not to buy a wheel horse D250 or D200 and am leaning twards the D250. I guess my biggest question is, is the 3 point hitch a category 1 or 0. Also if it is a category 0 can I change it to a category 1. The reason I wnat to change to a category 1 is so I a can use a bush hog. I saw that king kutter has one that I belive is a category 0, however even if this is so do you think that the tractro could handle a bush hog. I know it can handle a finish mower but I really want a bush hog. Also is the D250 the largest wheel horse made.
Theo Does your friend still have the D-250? If so, where is he from?

I am looking for one.

Thanks,
Theo

Theo Does your friend still have the D-250? If so, where is he from?

I am looking for one.

Thanks,
Theo

JON I HAVE THE SME PROBLEM AS RICK. MY STEERING BOX ON MY D250 IS WORN OUT CAN NOT FIND BEARING. LOOKINK FOR A USED ONE. CAN ANYBODY HELP
Tom I have a 1976 D-250 and need to find a distributor cap, rotor, condenser and points set. Can anyone tell me where to look? Does Napa have the Renault engine information to cross reference the parts?
Marc Awad I have one. Please call me at 518-364-1514
myzjearog hyxlmf qhlmbvj ynokevs wqfkh gytprz mvfdjpbza djkbqglyu osjqmz
Brandon
Re: Info about the D-250

I have a 1987 WHEEL HORSE D-250 tractor and it is indeed a very nice machine. It has a 20HP Renault 4 cyl gas motor with a 10 speed tranny ( 4 high 4 low and 2 reverse). this tractor has alot of torque and can pull just about anything. U can put a blade for pushing snow and soil, a snowblower, a rototiller on the back, a 66" mower deck underneath, a front loader, and a backhoe attachment. the mower deck is raised and lowered with hydralics and so is the three point hitch and the plow frame on the front. the D-250 is the biggest tractor made by Wheel Horse that stopped production in i believe it was 1989. the D-250 is not 4wd but has an axle lock option to drive both wheels when needed and when not needed it only drives with one wheel so it does not leave any marks on turf but will give lots of traction so u can drive it just about anywhere. U MUST handle ur Wheel Horse very gently because it is VERY hard to find parts for. This tractor is in my opinion the best tractor made in that year and i still use it today. This tractor is NOT for sale but I can give anybody who needs any information on the D-250 or the attachments can contact me and i will be happy to help.

bob i have several books email with any questions if you buy it and want to sell it ill give.you a god profit
Billy I have a D-250 with a mower deck. It runs & drives great. The rear fender has small cracks in it BUT no broren pieces out of it. It starts right up with ease & all of the gears work & DON'T jump out ou gear when driving. It's all org.,,machical good,,paint faded. Ask for Billy (540)247-0261.. $2500.oo or best offer
michael Hey I am selling a good condition running, mechanical wheelhorse D250 with all the books. St.Joseph MI. $1000. email me for details.
mike

Roger I am in S.C and have two D-250 Wheelhorse tractors. One needs the steering wheel thrust bearings. Like the rest who have this problem, they can't be found. A machine shop told me that mylar bearing or spacers could be used. The bearings are meteric and come from Italy. The other D-250 is in good shape and if the offer is good enough I would sell both. The one with the steering problem has a new engine in it, with less then a 100 hours on the engine. I have the old engine out of it. It has a rod pushed out the side of the engine.

Roger 803 494 3190

jim clark Hi, the Steeing box in the D250 bearing are hard to find. Tim Shue V.P. of WHCC mentioned that he was going to have the steering box machine to accept other bearings. Did anyone do this or is it still an option? Does anyone know where to find the original because they are like hens teeth to find. thanks, Jim
Tom Wassink I have a wheelhorse d250 it has been repainted. It runs great. The rear fenders were cracked so I cut them square to prevent them from breaking all the way off. It has the mowerdeck, rototiller, and the snow blower. I have used the blower and the deck and they both work I am missing the pto shaft for the rototiller though. You can E-mail me for pictures if you are interested in it. make me a reasonable offer and it's sold. 12/08/08
mark i have a wheel horse d 250. i just need a wedsite that has any or every bit of info on it that i can find. thank you
Jim balta selling a wheel horse. It is a 4 cylinder with RENO engine that is made in Germany. Has a 70 inch mower deck. Has a snow plow with hydralic. Front PTO and back PTO. I am selling it for $2600 or best. If you have any info just email me or call me at 315-798-9328.
vassie
I am helping a friend to find parts or possibly a complete used mower deck for his wheel horse. The deck is a three blade, model 5-1010. He needs at least two shaft assy's, or might consider an entire deck.

Thanks

Roger W. Plock The mower deck on the D-250 is a john dere . you can go to the JD dealer and get parts---I did and they were the same
faye pare I have a wheel horse mower with the motor between the seat & the steering wheel. I think it's from the 50's. Does anyone know what this is worth?Good mechanical condition but needs painting.
Oilcrazy The D 250 was made between 1976 and 1981. Approx 2000 were sold in the U S. The guy that has the 1987 model should check the serial # again and see when it was really made.
fred ostrum i have a wheel horse d250 with hyd loader hyd frt blade rear 3 point drag blade and deck im thinking about saling it
Flank
We're taking the plunge today 8/20/10 and getting a late model D250. I have a non running D200 Automatic that I'll sell cheaply here in Orlando. Thanks for the info on this forum.
Flank

Ron I have a Wheel Horse D-200 hydrostatic with belly mower, 3-point hitch, front end grader blade, original paint and in very good shape. I am thinking of selling it to get a full size tractor with loader. I was told this unit was worth over $2,500. Can anyone tell me if this could be correct?
tom cornford im looking for some info on a d250 as far as operation manuals go any info is helpful thanks
Pat Fanning Anyone have D250 Wheel horse for sale? looking for frt loader w /plow or snowblower
Tom Looking for two or more D 250 complete or parts tractors and all attachments and parts
Shawn Logan I have a 1976 D250 Wheel Horse and need some parts. I haven't had any luck, I need all of the belts, an oil pan gasket, throttle cable top and/or bottom & pto engagement pulley bearing & output shaft bearings (could be 2). I think my father-in-law can get me the bearings, but I really wanted to use it this spring. Thank you so much!!! Shawn (Mrs.) Logan
delbert I have a d250 wheel horse for sale if anyone is interested ....
Dan If you know of a nice D250 with attachments let me know..No snow Blowers ..just snow blade + mower and maybe a loader to and tiller etc..Thanks..
Bob Babcock Looking for any parts in New England area. Thanks, Bob
Heather My dad and I are looking for a complete backhoe kit ( self-contained hydraulics) for a Wheel Horse D250. Please e-mail me with any info on where to get parts or attachments. Thank you

doug bonnell Anyone know of a Wheel Horse D250 for sale?
Brian Stocks
Re: 1976 or 77  D250 for sale

I am looking for a buyer for my 1976 or 77 wheelhorse D250,with 245 hours on it,i bought new ,has renault 4 cylinder motor in running condition,drives ok,but needs carb rebuild i believe.over years the rear fender pan has broken so i cut it back sort of bob tail style,would need new for restore.has 60" mid mount mower and 48"snow thrower all working.i will post a picture later.if anyone interested call Brian in Wi.@262 569-9988 Thank you

Don Malak I used to own one 27 years & am looking to get one to restore as a family keepsake for my sons & grandson.
Don Malak Still looking for a D250 to restore. Thanx!
jeff young i haxe a wheelhorse d250 with renault engine for sale. near chattanooga tennessee . 423-334-4749
claude williamson would you consider in selling the plow separate,if so ,how much? thank you: for your time.
rich i'm looking for a d-250. good tractor no junk.

HANS does anyone know were i can find these rims and a style="border-bottom:2px solid;" id="intext_link_2649075" href="#376953" rev="0" rel="UHsEcwg4V28MKwB3UW4Fc1BoACpVZgopVCYANwN3VmFScQdwDXoCfVpnA29aYwdgAzRcCwN%2FXyxROwN%2FADwFdVBoBCUIJ1d6DGgAXFEuBV1QIwBuVTkKblQ2AHADc1ZlUm4HOw0yAjxaaANqWmkHaANxXDcDZV8zUQsDcgB0BTJQcwQkCD9Xfgx8AHBRaQVxUDMAY1U5CnJUbwAqA2RWY1IvB2MNYQJsWj0DOlo6By4Db1x5AzhfblFmA28ANgVuUDIEYQhiVzgMYAAyUTQFNFA5AD9VZAo6VGEAbAMxVjJSMwdkDWACaFo0AzBaOgclAz5cMgNsXxdREwNgADcFYFAzBGgIalc6DHQAc1FoBWVQMQA7VWwKLVQ7ADoDOFZIUkQHAg0gAh5aYgNlWlwHQANvXHIDeV83USMDOABuBThQcwQlCG5XfQwlAHdRLwVsUGUAa1U0Cm5UPgA3A2tWaVJjBzwNeAI8WmsDblooBy8DfVwhA2RfN1EjA38APAV1UGkEPwgnV28MKgB0USMFfA%3D%3D" class="intext_ad_1341635247" onclick="return(false);"tires/a mostly the rims is what i need. looked every were on line no luck oem part # 103775 ty HANS

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: