Craftsman lawn tractor won't start

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Craftsman lawn tractor won't start

Allen Hello, everyone -

I'm in need of some serious advice. I own a Craftsman model 917 271011 lawn tractor which is 4 years old and, until recently, I've had no trouble with it. A couple of days ago, my wife took the tractor out to mow part of our yard. The tractor started and ran just fine. She then turned the tractor off and went to move a fallen branch. When she tried to restart the tractor, the engine wouldn't turn over. I replaced the battery a couple of months ago so it seems unlikely to me that it would be the problem. Immediately after replacing the battery, I had a problem with the tractor's kill switch, which is located under the seat. Adjusting the seat seemed to take care of this issue at the time, but now I'm at something of a loss. I've never had any electrical or fuel system problems with this tractor, so I'm not really sure where to begin to diagnose the problem. As you can probably tell, I know next to nothing about this kind of stuff. Unfortunately, money's tight, so I'd like to handle this myself, if possible.

Any advice (short of buying a new tractor, of course!), guidance, hand-holding that anyone would be kind enough to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Allen

Ned Allen, I can't get mine to go, it won't stop me acting like I know anything. the kill switch under seatcan be tested easy.1-unplug 2-any kind of wire will do 3-Jumpthe conector out one side back in the other;the result is same as switch being closed. Next.4-you just disabled a SAFTY devise be careful! 5- Try starting, if engine starts replace switch.about 10 bucks.
Ollie In order to help you...

Exactly what happens when you turn the key?

1) Nothing.
2) A "click" is heard.
3) The starter turns the engine over.
4) The starter turns the engine over and the engine acts likes it's trying to start but won't stay running.

Dennis I assume when you turn the key, nothing happens.

Check the in-line fuse (behind instroment panel.)

If the fuse is good, watch the ammeter and see if it jiggles when you turn the switch on.

If not, it's possible it failed and causing the no voltage problem to the starter.

If it's OK, the following can cause a no-crank condition.

In order for the starter soleniod to close (and allow the starter to crank) both the PTO interlock switch (*PTO turned off*) and the clutch/brake interlock (brake pedal all the way down) must be working, and in alignment.

One of these two switches may have been displaced or have failed completely. (Most likely cause is one of them is out of alignment.)

If you can trace it, the circuit comes off the (S) terminal of the ignigition switch, runs to the clutch interlock switch, from the clutch interlock to the PTO interlock switch, and from the PTO interlock to the small terminal of the starter soleniod.

One quick check would be to run a wire directly from the positive terminal of the battery to the small terminal of the starter soleniod and see if the engine now cranks. (Won't start if the key is still off.) If it does, one of these interlocks is probably out of alignemnt, or the ignition switch itself has failed. (More likely one of the switches is out of alignment.)

Allen Thanks for all of your responses!

1. Ned: Thanks. I'm going to try your idea first. This was my initial thought but I wasn't sure how to test the theory.

2. Ollie: Thank you. When I try to start the tractor, I hear a single "click" and the ammeter jiggles. The starter does not turn the engine over at all.

3. Dennis: Thanks to you, too. I'll take a look at the fuse and try to follow through from there.

Just to rule it out, I had the battery checked out and it's fine, so that's definitely not part of the equation. The guy who checked the battery told me that very often the kill switches get loose or don't function correctly due to vibration over time.

Thanks again, everyone!

Keith I'm in the same boat as Allen - mower does nothing when key is turned. I've jumped both kill switches (seat and brake) and still nothing. The ignition switch is new as I though this was the problem to begin with. Fuse is okay, but not sure about the ammeter mentioned by Dennis. Not sure what this piece is or where it is located. Dennis or anyone, can you point me in the right direction... Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Ollie You have to back trace it with your DMM. There is no other way to find the reason the starter is not getting 12v, or, if it is, then you know the starter is bad.
joel also if nothing works turn the key on and jump the soilinod. with a screw driver. you need to have it in nutral and the brake clutch locked down and the seat saftyactivated to so it will run. if it starts and runs then make sure the plug is on the key switch good. i had the same problem and i took the plug off and on a couple of time and forced it on as tigh as i could and it started to work
hope this helps

Keith Thanks for your suggestions. Bypassed the solinoid with 12 gauge wire direct from the + battery terminal to the starter and it did not turn. It looks like I'll be replacing it. Tractor is 12 years old now, so I guess that's decent life out of the starter.
Dennis If you here a click and the ammeter jijjles, the power is getting through the ignition switch to the solenoid.

The click could either be the solenoid closing (and not making contact) or the starter itself. (Only two things I can think of that click when you turn the key. Unlikely it's an interlock switch if you hear a click and read current on the ammeter gauge.)

Why don't you try the same thing that Keith did, using a battery jumper cable, hook one end on the + battery terminal and the other directly to the starter (where the big red wire is connected.) (Engine will not start if key is in OFF pos.)

If it cranks, suspect the starter solenoid. If not, the starter itself.

Josh My advice, sell the Crapsman and buy a Deere!
Ned Thanks you everyone,learned a lot. Justwant to let you know how I made out.went to local Deere dealer tried to start 4 used John Deere finally at end of row old Cub Cadetstarted right up. Now I don't need to fix sears.3 machines for sale.
Desi My Craftsman turns over beautifully.......just no spark there???? Any ideas?
Allen Many thanks to everyone who's offered helpful suggestions!

After receiving an email notification that Dave seems to be having the same problem I experienced, I thought I'd try to save him some time & effort by letting him know that the problem with my tractor was a bad solenoid (sp?). I tried a few other things, but a new solenoid did the trick. The new part was about $17.00. Hope this helps, Dave. Good luck!

Mike My problem started out the same as Allen's. I disabled the seat switch and clamped the clutch into the down position. The blades are in the off position. With the key in the 'run' position I can start the engine by jumping across the solenoid. It will run all day like that but as soon as I release the clutch a half inch, even in neutral with the blades off, the engine immediately dies. I feel that I have multiple problems and am completely lost as sea. The darn thing is only three years old and i already replaced the solenoid last year.
Steve I am having Mike's problem. I got this tractor used last year. I had the Sears repair guy here 3times @$85 plus a visit. The safety seat switch was the problem the first time. Second time the bar switch that allows the tractor to be pushed was in ok but something it was connected to was jammed, kind of emabarassing when he took 3 minutes to diagnose and fix it. Now it is doing the same thing and checked both those issues and it still doesn't move, just stalls out. I hope I don' have to call the repair guy again..could have bought a new tractor by now.
(FYI I also had no start problem...that turned out to be the ignition switch.)

Steve I am having Mike's problem. I got this tractor used last year. I had the Sears repair guy here 3times @$85 plus a visit. The safety seat switch was the problem the first time. Second time the bar switch that allows the tractor to be pushed was in ok but something it was connected to was jammed, kind of emabarassing when he took 3 minutes to diagnose and fix it. Now it is doing the same thing and checked both those issues and it still doesn't move, just stalls out. I hope I don' have to call the repair guy again..could have bought a new tractor by now.
(FYI I also had no start problem...that turned out to be the ignition switch.)

mike mccolly I ended up finding two problems. First was a faulty starter solenoid. Easily replaced for 17.00. Then I decided to take all of the safety switches out of the equation. There are two black wires running to each switch. I cut one of them on each switch. Don't know which switch had gone bad but now it works fine. Give it a try.
Dennis As it occurs when you let the clutch out, it's either the clutch/brake safety switch or the seat safety switch. Almost certain it's one of these.
ed when I turn the key a hear a sort of "grinding" noise but the engine does not turn.
the noise continue as you hold the key but the engine does not turn.
driving tractor around 8 years old 19.5 HP.
any ideas ?
thanks

Bradley I have a problem kind of like steve's but little more complicated.one day the wife was out mowing and the mower just died out.i checked the fuse and the fuse was blown and connector was melted,i replaced the fuse and connector.i drove it around the yard with the blades off and it blew the fuse again.i put another fuse in it and then it would not start.i jumpered the starter relay and then it started,so i replaced the starter relay.then i was getting power to the relay but still no start.i jumpered the ignition swith and it started,so i replaced the ignition switch.it started up no problem but it would die out as soon as i let off of the clutch or try to engage clutch.after messing with it for a couple of days.Now it will run if i let off of the clutch and try to engage blades,but now it will not engage blades at all.if anyone has any idea,please help.i am about to pull my hair out.plus my wife is on me about mowing the grass!!
mike Locate the plunger type safety switch behind the lever that engages the blades. Cut and splice one of the wires leading to that switch thereby taking it out of the equation. That's what i did with mine and have had no problems since.
joel that would be your starter gear grinding more than likely. try taking a look at it. take of the shrouds or what ever you have to to get to the starter but i would almost garuntee that it what the noise is.
joel

Ralph S. My Craftsman model 917.271821 will not produce a spark when trying to start. I have jumpered all safety switches and still no spark. Ran fine till I turned off for a new beer!!!! Any ideas??? Called Sears service --- what a joke!!
Thanks for the help -- ahead of time!!!!!

Dennis Could be several things, IG swtich, interlocks, wiring harness to the ciol or coil itself. (personally I would suspect the coil.)

Try pulling the engine shroud (usually req loosening around 5-6 screws) and check to see if you have voltage getting to the coil (IG switch on, interlocks closed, etc.)

If not, follow wiring back and see if there is a break.

If yes, coil probably bad (local lawn shop should stock, need engine make & model, probably around $35.)

traver mower turns over wont start
good spark,getting gas,replaced wire harnes,all the basics done need suggestions

Dennis Check for broken shear key.
(Throws timing off)

Rob Own a Poulin 18hp 42" tractor. Replaced, air, oil, and gas filters. Flushed gas tank and added new fuel. Replaced full line from filter to carb. New battery. New plug with good spark, but when I turn it over it just turns and turns and will not start. I can smell gas after a few attempts to choke it, but never get it to turn over. Plus the battery seems to be drained overnite? I'm pretty handy, but this thing is driving me crazy. Any suggestions?
Dennis The fact that your getting both fuel and spark leaves only one real probability; timing (*when* the spark is generated.)

If you broke shear key holding the flywheel in the proper position, it will throw off the timing. (They can shear if the blades hit a large obstruction such as a tree root and the flywheel changes position, throwing off the timing.

If this is the case its a simply matter of pulling the flywheel and putting in a new shear pin.

Byron Where are the safety switches located at on a craftsman lawn tractor, model # 917.273062
Astrochimp Just been fighting my mower- after troubleshooting the safety switches, I found the relay was bad (no circut threw coil).

Had the 'starts and runs, then dies when releseing the clutch or engaging the blade' (electric clutch on blade)problem.

Hope it helps others.

Kerry Went to start my Sears 18.5 hp model, #917.273641, approx. 5 yrs. old. It cranks fine. I'm getting gas to the carburator but the spark plug is always dry. When I squirt a little starting fluid into the carb, it always starts immediately, then dies immediatley.
Any ideas out there??

Michael H I have a Craftsman 46 inch 7 years old. The mower starts but has the same problem in the safety circuit. Try to let out the clutch it dies or try to engage the blades it dies. The mower seems to start hard and I have replaced the fuse more than once. I have done the following. Wired around the seat switch. All of the following are new battery, solenoid, relay switch, and ignition switch. Any ideas by now it seems I have replaced half the electrical system?
Larry712000 I have one did the same thing and the engine locked up on it just a click, You sould be able to take you hands on the top of motor see if it can turn if not take a braker bar with socket and a cheater bar and turn from underneith brake the engine loose.

Larry712000

john i was using my model 917.271041 craftsman lawn tractor when it just died while mowing. i have checked the fuel line, the fuses, re-placed the spark plug, etc. now it will not start. also, i cannot get it into neutral by pulling the lever in the back of the mower to push it around, it seems locked into place. is this because it quit working while i was in mowing gear? is this why it will not start? what should be my next step?
shawn after about 10 minutes the engine just seems to starve for gas, it's getting fuel.
The engine starts up no problem but will starve and shut down quicker and quicker.
I changed the plug.
if I put the clutch in it will recover and keep running.

Rob Can anyone help me? I bought a Craftsman Model# 917288031 mower this past summer "2008" & everything has worked fine. I just used it a week ago & when i tried to start it today it would not run. I tried everything in the manual & also called the service tech & went through everything they told me to do but still nothing. So i replaced the plug, drained the gas & put fresh in, & even bypassed the seat safety switch. The battery is fine & it's getting a spark/fire. But all it will do is turn over.... I sprayed a little quick starting fluid in the carb but still nothing! Has anyone here ever had this problem? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks, Rob
Kevin Kerry, sounds like you have a carb issue. If the plug is dry then it's possible that the float or needle valve is gummed up and needs to be cleaned. Once it's cleaned prime it by pulling the plug and pouring about a teaspoon of fuel in to the cylinder. Hope this helps.
Mike Haber Just wanted to thank the site for posting all this extremely helpful information....I also own a craftsman tractor that has recently given me grief (first time in 7 years)....based on the information and tips I've read, I'm certain its the starter. Thanks again....
John Szucsik I'm having a similar problem, my crafstman lawn tractor (42 inch cut 18 HP model 917.273640) cranks and tries to turn over but won't. Battery, fuse, and spark plug are good. I checked for a spark with a tester and do not see one when trying to start the engine. I'm guessing the problem may be a bad starter or solenoid but am open to other suggestions. Is there a way to test starter/solenoid for proper function?
Tom B I Have a older Craftsman LT 1000 (8 years old). My son was driving the tractor and when he was done parked it and turned it off. Now for some reason it will not fire. The engine turns and I smell gas but it won't start? I tried replacing the spark plug (twice), checked the fuse and checked for any loose wires. Everything is good. Why won't it start up? Any ideas? I'm getting ready to part it out but wanted to see if there was anything else I could try to get this thing running. Because I would like to keep it. Any Ideas?
Doug I have a model 917-27664 20hp tractor that cranks but will not fire. I had started it but it never reved up to full power and stopped running after a few seconds. I've checked for spark, changed the fuel filter, and air filter.

My fuel is fresh as I burn at least a half tank every time I cut.

Any suggestions?

Phil I have a Craftsman 917.252700 Kohler Magnum. While cutting grass, the blades stopped turning, engine still running. I checked the blade belt, it is fine. I rode the tractor to the garage & turned it off. Later, I had no response to turning the key. I found the 30 amp fuse was blown. In replacing the fuse, I get sparks and smoke coming out of the engine (not running). Pulling the fuse, it is HOT. Can you tell me how to fix it?
William Carr Hey, Phil.

Our LT 1000 is having similar problems.

The fuse blows on startup.

But once started, it runs fine, until I park it.

Then I need a new fuse to start again.

I'm working on the idea that the engine needs a "valve lash" adjustment, and therefore the starter is really straining to spin the engine.

Did you by any chance bypass the fuse or use a higher Amp fuse?

It sounds like you're pulling so much juice through the starter motor you're in danger of catching fire.

Unfortunately I don't know how to fix "valve lash". Anybody able to explain the procedure?

RJ Folks my Sears 18.5HP mower (917.270760) will not start. Took off the engine cowling and see that the start gear spins fine but will not rise to engage the flywheel. If I use a screwdriver and push the gear clockwise a couple times and gently lift up on the gear it will come up enough to engage the flywhell and allow the engine to start.
Is the starter bad or just the gear assembly on top? I've soaked that assembly thouroughly with WD40 but it still will not come up to engage. I was going to pull the starter out but I cannot get a socket to reach one of the bolts holding the starter in.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

RJ Folks my Sears 18.5HP mower (917.270760) will not start. Took off the engine cowling and see that the start gear spins fine but will not rise to engage the flywheel. If I use a screwdriver and push the gear clockwise a couple times and gently lift up on the gear it will come up enough to engage the flywhell and allow the engine to start.
Is the starter bad or just the gear assembly on top? I've soaked that assembly thouroughly with WD40 but it still will not come up to engage. I was going to pull the starter out but I cannot get a socket to reach one of the bolts holding the starter in.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

ted When I turn the key ON, the engine cranks, but it would not start.
The gas tank is full, the carburetor is clean, gas filter recently replaced, and ran the tractor twice since.
Since I had this tractor, it always started hard, hesitating. Needed a lot of cranking.
Why?
I suspect no spark, but I didn't test yet. Please help.

mike Problem was cutting grass and tractor shut down, replaced fuse and worked for a little while and blew fuse again. What can be causing the fuse to blow?
tom hello i have a craftsman 917.252520 lawn tractor. it turns over hard only when it's cold and keeps eating up starters. can anyone give me some advise with this problem?
tom sometimes if the wires tucked are between the engine and the starter. it will blow fuses. try to put the wires on the out side of starter.
Dan I have a Sears Craftsmann Kohler 18.5HP mower (917.270760 that seems to be flooding, and will not start. Yesterday, when trying to start it. gasoline sprayed out of the muffler. In looking in the carb, it has fuel sitting in the chamber. The sparkplug is new, and now wet and blackened more than it should be. The engine tries to turn over, and will cough and stop. Any suugestions?
Dan E. I have a Craftsman DYT 4000 lawn tractor with a 48 inch cut. After it surged cyclically from lack of air, I cleaned a very dirty air filter. When trying to restart (after running well before), it cranked well but would not start. It acts as if there is a disconnect. I let it set overnight, believing that it may have flooded; however, it continues to crank but will not start. Could something have become disconnected when the hood was lifted?
Dan E. I have a Craftsman DYT 4000 lawn tractor with a 48 inch cut. After is surged cyclically from lack of air, I cleaned a very dirty air filter. When trying to restart (after running well before), it cranked well but would not start. It acts as if there is a disconnect. I let it set overnight, believing that it may have flooded; however, it continues to crank but will not start. Could something have become disconnected when the hood was lifted?
Scott found a craftsman lawn tractor on the side of the road for free looks like its in good condition..it wont run and i dnt know much bout repairs of this sort...where do i start to look? any feed back would be nice... Model num:917.270411
judy My Craftsman 1000 LT will not start everytime. There is a click when the key is turned and the motor tries to spin but then stops. I can turn it by hand and sometimes it will spin enough to start. Then sometimes I wiggle the motion drive belt and then it will fire right up and run great. Once it starts I can mow for a couple of hours then it will start every time when hot. I don't know much but am willing to try anyting.
Thomas Did you ever get any help with this I seem to have the same problem
Thomas try adjusting your valve clearance

jason I have a craftsman 14 hp 42 inch cut mower 4000 series when barely start to engage blades starts to die let off its fine its 14 years old been great mower but if anyone can help thanks and it seems all mechanical to engage blades and blades and idlers spin fine acts like turns spark off.
judy No Thomas I have not had any help but will start with tracing and adjusting to see what happens
Bob Mc Hey Dennis, Ned et. al.: I just wanted to let you know how great it was to find your advice!
Although I did not become part of the discussion, my problems were exactly the same; thanks to the discussion and advice, I was able to work/fix my Craftsman mower.
Please keep up the great work; wish I could do something to be helpful to you guys, as you have helped so much.
Again: many thanks/ Bob Mc

Annie My Craftsman mower, Brigs and Stratton Engine, 18.5 HP , has a new battery and plug, when I try to start it it just makes a very loud BANG, will not start. I just got it back from the shop, it was running fine, stalled it in some tall grass, and have been banging ever since. Any ideas????
Dave Replaced solenoid. Blew fuse when tried to start. Jumped out seat safety switch & still blows fuse. Any ideas what to try next?
Buddy I have a model 917.255522 12.5 Brigs. Your gonna like this one for sure. Its been a good mower for the last 18 years, but this year the only way I can get it to start is to turn the key to start, depress the clucth and then move my butt side to side in the seat and make the tractor sway violently and the starter will enguage and it will start and as long as I dont shut it off it runs and mows fine. I used to shut it off every time I would dump the rear bags, but the neighbors are looking at me funny now so I start it up in the garage and dont shut it off until im done mowing. Why won't it just start ? I bought this tractor in 1992. They just dont make them like they use to. This is no joke Its the only way it will start!
Roger My tractor did not start today and I read all the blogs attached to this title. Thanks, I am now ready to try all the suggestions.

However, I discovered a new problem - its serious. Many of you commented that your wives are mowing the lawn. I think I got the right model tractor, did I get the wrong model wife?

Bill My craftsman model 917.271041 has been blowing the 30 amp. fuse every so often but now its shorted out and blowes as soon as you try to start.Dose any one have a wiring diagram or know what this fuse protects.
Buddy Well I got my tractor fixed yesterday, It was the attachment switch that was bad. Of course I replaced the ignition switch,the clutch pedal switch,the positive battery cable. Oh while I was at it, I installed a new filler tube seal so it doesn't leak any more. I spent about $35 total and had to wait on UPS for a week and a half, but its fine now. 1992 and running good. I guess I dont need that new one after all. Yea i was al set to go down and buy me a new Z turn. Sorry sears, I'll stick with this one a while longer good luck all!
Buddy Well I got my tractor fixed yesterday, It was the attachment switch that was bad. Of course I replaced the ignition switch,the clutch pedal switch,the positive battery cable. Oh while I was at it, I installed a new filler tube seal so it doesn't leak any more. I spent about $35 total and had to wait on UPS for a week and a half, but its fine now. 1992 and running good. I guess I dont need that new one after all. Yea I was all set to go down and buy me a new Z turn. Sorry sears, I'll stick with this one a while longer, good luck all!
Tim I have a 917.271011 lawn tractor that the mice at the spark plug wire in two over the winter. I cannot read the part number off of the coil, at least that was what it was called in a an auto, and the manual doesn't show it. Any idea what the part is and what the part number is?
nicholas Donohue I have a 2007 lawn tractor. it starts ok, then the cycles stronger and weaker, then quits. Won't restart right away but will later. Removed and blew through fuel filter and replaced spark. Timing? Other. USed to "POP" a little before this.
John
My starter clicked about 25 hits with the key than finally engaged and engine started. Mowed over an hour ....parked the LT1000 started normally 3 times :) Maybe the 8 yr old starter is wore out?

Looks expensive...anyone know how much $ ?

John
Sorry messed up on my e address.

alex Re: Craftsman lawn tractor shuts down while running after 15 minutes o so it starts and runs again for another 15 minutes..at times i will have to bring the choke up so it would stay running any ideas
Robert Linton I have a 1998 Sears LTX1000 lawn tracktor. It has a Brigg's & Stratton Intek 20hp engine. It stars up just fine but after a little time, the engine starts to surge (like running out of gas). I can pull the choke out to keep it running back to the shop.I've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs. It is something that gets hot to activate this problem. I also checked the valves, which were ok.
I'm really stumped, can point in the right direction to solve this problem.
Thank You

Billy Moak I have craftsman riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton 18.5 hp ovc engine. It want run. It starts and dies within a few seconds. Problem started when I added fuel to tank with water and trash. When engine stopped, I replaced fuel, changed inline filter, pulled carburator and cleaned best I could. Not much change, sometime it dies within a few seconds, sometime it run a few minutes, most time the engine rpm surge up and down as if the governor is sticking. I still think it a carb problem but am open to any suggestion. My background is mechanical and electrical. I find most soluation are simple but this one has me stumped. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jerry I have an 18.5 hp craftsman. It ran fine last week, but today, it started, but dies when I let out the clutch or engage the blades. Any ideas? Haven't tried anything yet...not too handy with lawn tractors.
Jerry Also, it does the same thing when in neutral. It runs fine until I let out the clutch.
Don Person I have a Craftsman DTY 4000 which is 4/yrs old. I have to jump it before each use. I've changed the battery, starter, magnito all are relatively new. I've just changed the selenoid today started it up let it run for twenty minutes and barely got it started again. It seems like I need to find a sweet spot while depressing the break/clutch, letting it back about an inch from fully depressed. The flysheel trys to rotate and gets about 1/2 turn. Throw the quick start jumpers on it and in 2/mins flywheel turns and starts within 10/secs.
Does the break/clutch touch something to ground or touch a switch?
Still scratching my head.

Russ I have same problem with my craftsman but when I check the switch under the seat there is power comming from both leads and when I depress the switch nothing happens. Why would that be? I figured the switch was to make a circuit,?
Jimmy I have a used Craftsman tractor, approx. 8 yrs old. It is a 18 HP TWIN KOHLER MAGNUM, with a 42" cut. It as been running fine. Now I only get a click when I turn the switch, it doesn't turn over. The battery tested bad, I replaced it, no change. Looking what to check next, from the things I have read if it clicks, this usually indicates it's not a starter /solenoid issue which seems to be a problem on some of these tractors. Looking for the next likely troubleshooting step.
Phaedrus 18.5 Kohler won't start...Here is my initial input to the problem, Unhook the seat safety switch. Depress the clutch and then start the motor. Then Unhook the safety switch for the clutch and let the clutch out. It should still run. But the problem leaves you with no PTO Unhook the PTO switch (6-way) and jump the center two female receptacles on the switch and that will engage your PTO. It is a poor -man's fix but so am I right now :) If those things don't work then jump to the previous posts and I would bet on the Coil. Good Luck...--William's Grove Steam Associaation
Gus Mercanti Here's the problem I'm having....

It's a Briggs and Stratton single cylinder engine in a five year old Craftsman lawn tractor, model # 917.272673.

It began with the engine becoming harder and harder to start.

It finally got to the point that the engine would start to crank and then stop turning over. It would get about one turn and then stop although it was still getting power to the starter and trying to crank. But it would not turn any more. A couple taps of the key would get it to turn a little and then another tap would crank to the compression position and then stop again.

I replaced the solenoid switch - same problem.

I had the starter tested and they said it was okay.

I replaced the battery and it started although it didn't seem to crank as strongly as it used to.

It started the next several times although it seemed to become more difficult each time.

I went to cut the grass today and I have exactly the same problem.

I'm at a point where I do not know what to do next.

It seems unlikely to me that the battery would be bad after a couple months.

Could it be that the charging system isn't working correctly. How can I test that it is charging properly? If it's the alternator how do I replace it? The owners manual is not clear on where this is actually located.

Or could it be that there's a short somewhere draining the battery when not in use? How can I check for that?

Or maybe the starter is not strong enough for some reason.

Can I jump start the lawn tractor by running jumper cable from the car battery to the tractor battery? Or can I run power directly from the car battery to the starter to see if that would work? If I can, how would I do that safely?

I'm really at a loss on what to do. Any help would be very welcomed. The grass is getting tall!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

mike I have a craftsman gt3000 about 8 yrs old. The other day I was cutting grass and the blades quit turning, I first thought a belt broke. That was not the case I thought maybe somehow I must have pushed in the PTO switch but I had not been drinking so I know I didn't. When I checked the PTO switch it was still out so I pushed it in and then pulled it back out and the red knob came completely off in my hand. I pulled up to my porch to go in out of the heat for a minute and when I came back out to crank it up it would not crank.I fooled with it for a few minutes.I checked the fuse it was good.I know the battery is good.I ordered a knew switch today. Could this thing think that the switch is still in the blade on mode?I Took a lag bolt and stuck it into the hole from where the red knob came from and pushed it in and oulled it out so I would like to think that I done exactly what the red knob done before it broke.
mike I should have said that it does not make any I mean any sound at all when I turn the switch over but for note the ammeter does move and the headlights come on.
mike I put a new PTO switch in and it cranked up perfect and I cut grass. But after about 30min of cutting it done the exact same thing.$37 bucks for that switch. Not again until I find out something. I will be tracing wires today, there has to be a short somewhere. I will post my results when I find out. Mean while any knowledge of the wiring routes would be great. Someone out there has to know what go's where and why?
bob sullivan Lt2000 Mower wont start. Ran fine last itme I used it.It just clicks.I replaced the battery. Now at least the lights come on. When i held the key to on and tried to start it it would click and I would see smoke coming out of the solenoid. So I am thinking if I replace that I should be ok.
rick
Craftman model 917270722 wont turn to the right

sam jones I have a craftsmanmodel no. 917.273130 and I,ve put all new seat switch,ignition module,new plug ,new battery,selenoid, check all safety switches,everything works but I have no spark, even clean flywheel where the ignition module come together got it gapped at 20, I would get some spark and then nothing and the key for the fly wheel is still good, so it,s not that, and it,s a kohler engine even checked the all 3 of the relay asms, fuse is good also need help
Greg I have a Kohler CV490 17.0 HP engine in my Craftsman Lawn Tractor that will crank, but doesn't start. It's getting spark at the plug, the air filter is clean and the fuel supply seems fine (fresh gas, new fuel filter). When I remove the spark plug it seems extremely wet. I let the mower sit the last few days and when I tried to crank it this morning a large amount of gasoline poured out of the exhaust. I originally thought it was the flywheel shear key, but I'm not so sure now. Any help would be appreciated.
Carroll Mcalhaney What Switch is most likely to stick and drain the battery I have not checked any, the battery keeps dying replaced with new battery within 5 day battery would not turn over engine, starts right up when jump starting . Engine is 18.5,Brigs. 42 In. cut

Mc.

Norm Choquette My mower deck is off and accidentlly I'd pulled the blade knob to the right and the engine died and I can't get it to do anything. Everything is silent as ignition is turned.( 26 hp Kohler engine.)
Geoff Kinsey I have a Sears Craftsman riding tractor that will start and run just fine. Release the clutch or engage the blades and it dies. I want to shoot the thing because it has been nothing but a headache. Any suggestions as to which gun caliber to use?
Craig Folks my Sears Craftsman LT2000 20HP mower will not start. When I turn the key I hear the starter spinning but not catching the flywheel. I recently put in a brand new battery so I have plenty of juice. I took off the engine cowling and see that the start gear spins fine but will not rise to engage the flywheel. If I use a screwdriver and push the gear clockwise a couple times and gently lift up on the gear it will come up enough to engage the flywhell but it will not stay there. Is the starter bad or just the gear assembly on top? Any suggestions on what I should do?

charles e moody you have connected the battery backwards, look to seeif the starter isn't trying to turn motor backwards, the starter "will"run backward if you have the battery connected backward,the starter gear cannot go up to flywheel if it is turning backward
james 917.272020 year 2000/ 16.5 kohler/46inch
Replaced ign switch,starter,pto switch,relay.new pto clutch
seat switch bypassed.
if i jump the solenoid with a screwdriver, turn key on put clutch lock on. the tractor will start. otherwise I get nothin.
I am thinking it is a interlock located on the frame underneath where the solendoid is. Anybody got any ideas how to remove this interlock? From on top or underneath?

David My neighbor has a Craftsman 18.5 LT1000. The battery is dead, would not take charge. Jumped with car, will spin fine, has got spark, gas getting to carb, would not crank until the gear shift selecter is wiggled. As soon as it starts, it immediately dies. I will not stay running no matter how the lever is wiggled. It will crank everytime, then die. Is this a interlock problem, battery problem or what? Has the solenoid under the carb got anything to do with it?
james Clutch pedal saftey switch removal? Anybody!
917-272020

Becky i have a craftsman 19.5 riding mower i replaced the battery this past week went to start it today the battery is dead. Can you tell me what to look for to solve this problem. this rider is 2 years old.
Michael I have an older Craftsman 19.5 Twin V, 42" deck. Everything was working fine last year. I winterized the mower. I have changed the oil out and replaced the fuel and new spark plugs. I went to start it and now it will crank, won't start though. I smell fuel, when I pulled the spark plugs the compression is fine. I AM NOT GETTING ANY SPARK! I know of the 3 interlock switches are good, they were replaced last year. According to the manuals there isn't a magneto on the mower. Does anyone have an idea what I might be missing?
Nik I have a 24 hp craftsman that won't start unless I will boost it then let it run for 10 mins and then shut it off. I try to restart and the same thing, just a clicking sound.
I then boost it again and try to run it longer this time and start up the blades and it a no go on the blades turning, but wait ! a minute later it will suddenly start to spin but then it stops shortly after ....WOW what's going on ?
Could it be that my battery has no juice and it needs power from that to make the blades go ? Anyone got any suggestions ... thx
Nik

Don Edinger im hoping someone can help me my 12.5hp sears lawn tractor starts but then stalls out just replaced the coil and it started for 15 minutes and now it cranks starts runs for 30 secondes grwat then stalls
Pat I got off the mower to empty the bagger and when I got back on it wouldn't start. All that would happen was a click . Checked the gas and the battery and they were ok. The tractor is only a year old
larry Veile I have a 18.5 hp Kohler on a Craftsman 917.251480 serial 1120950001279. It starts and runs fine but the governor isn't working and I'd appreciate any info on how to replace it. Has anyone been into one and care to share any helpful hints? Thanks, Larry
charlie Have an older model 18hp craftsmen signiture series with briggs & stratton twin cyl. Starts runs a couple seconds and dies. Have connected jumper wires to all the seat and shift lever kill switches, and still starts and dies. Took off shroud, on one side i have a red & white wire, on the other side one black wire. All comeing out from under flywheel. How could i by pass every thing, switch,headlites,safty mechanisems and put just a toggle switch in just too start it? Need Help Badly..
Fiona Miller Hi I have a Craftsman lawn tractor LT2000. Please help I have no power to switch. Battery is fine. I have checked all wires seem ok. switches seem to work all right. Check fuse cant see no problems... Any help would be appreciated... Thanks Fi
MARK MINE SEEMS TO NOT BE GETTING ANY FUEL, STARTS THEN STALLS I JUS SPENT $490 ON IT
luis i jump started tractor several times, then that would not work..i replaced battery.. but no power and tractor still wont start.. this is a ltx 1000 craftsman.. model 917.272452
cresston Hello I have an 18.5 koler new carb but will only run while gravity feed gas tank has new gas filter fuel pump what are we missing to make her run gets fuel too carb but doesn't start it check every thing plz help thanks
Martin I just acquired a Craftsman LT1000 917.272673, It ran fine for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden it stop. When I turn the key the only thing that happens is the solenoid just vibrates. I replaced the solenoid and put a new battery in it and I still have the same problem... Any Ideas? Thank you
Steve Hello,
There is a safety switch for the parking brake. When you push the brake in it will close the switch and motor will start. a piece of metal that hits the switch broke off of my mower. I unplugged the switch and wired the same color wires together an now my mower will start. Note: The mower will start without brake engaged, and this would only be a temporary fix.

Al Hi,
Craftsman tractor quit while running with mower engaged, let it cool off, added gas, checked the oil, added oil. Now it cranks but will not turn over?? any suggestions for next

daric hit a root. it shut off and now when i turn th ignition switch nothing but the click for the cylinoid (spelling?)
Todd I have a craftsman YS4500, just stopped running. Recently did yearly maintenance, oil, plugs and filters. Fully charged battery. Starter is working, spinning the motor, just not turning over. Kill switch???
John I have a Craftsman 11HP tractor(917.255732) that was running fine until I ran out of fuel on an incline. Filled the gas tank and then all it would do is "click" when the key was turned until the battery died. I put in a new battery (cleaned the terminal on the battery and cable end) and it will not even "clink" when the key is turned. Battery has 12.5 volts. I am at a loss.
Jon It starts and stays running as long as i hold clutch/brake down.
digger check the fuse on the positive cable if good try touching both nut ends of the solinoid with a wrench or anything metal to see if it cranks
digger even if the fuse looks good replace it with a new one i had the same problem
charles b
Please help I need more power from my mower engine to pull my mower tralior as I do alot of hardworking and it would be nice to have the power I need to get the job done

Michael H I find a lot of good info in the thread above, but the one piece of info I'm looking for is not here. Where is the brake/clutch switch physically located on my ltx1000? under the frame up front? under the frame in the rear near the transaxle? I could tear the whole thing down and find it, but I'd like to be able to reach in and jiggle it to see if I can finish my yard work today!! Anybody?? Thanks!
julius e Dedon PSeems like pressure releif valve take te spark plug out motor turns over good put the spark plug back will not turn over just tries to crank click18.5ohv motor
George Legge I have a craftsman 247.2500' and it won't start. I turn the key and nothing happens. I have had this for one year. I have put a charger on it so the battery is ok. The Manuel does not tell you how to remove the cover so you can check what is wrong. Frustrated!,,,
Bruce I have a craftsman lt1000 I could disengage the transmission via the break/clutch but the mower would just coast to a stop, tried to do the break adjustment to no avail so I replaced the brake pads but the breaks continue to be ineffective, not sure what to try next, any suggestions will be greatly appriciated.
jennifer brim
I have a craftmans ltd1000 with a 20hp ohv motor.The motor is turning over and it is getting fire to the plug but still won't start what could be wrong with it

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: